Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I’m a single male New Jersey high school teacher. There’s a former student of mine who has no father in their life and this student has said I’ve become like a father to him. He has said multiple times that I’m the father figure in his life. I’ve known him and his mom, a single mother, for years. If I were to adopt him as an adult, he’s now 18, how would it work? From what I’ve read, it means legal ties are cut from his mother. I want this to be that I’ve symbolically become his father with his mother is still being his mother. Can an adult adoption work that way in New Jersey?
Only way would be to do it like a second parent/step-parent adoption. Otherwise, may need to have her co-adopt her own son so that when the rights would normally be terminated by the adoption, her rights would transfer to herself, and you would also get parental rights as a father. I am not a lawyer at this time, but if you discuss this with a New Jersey attorney, they can tell you the legalities of that state and the possibility of doing it. It will be important you discuss these possibilities with the mother and find if she is open to such an option, and talk with your potential son about the possibilities.
Hi,
I’m a single male New Jersey high school teacher. There’s a former student of mine who has no father in their life and this student has said I’ve become like a father to him. He has said multiple times that I’m the father figure in his life. I’ve known him and his mom, a single mother, for years. If I were to adopt him as an adult, he’s now 18, how would it work? From what I’ve read, it means legal ties are cut from his mother. I want this to be that I’ve symbolically become his father with his mother is still being his mother. Can an adult adoption work that way in New Jersey?
Advertisements