Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi Everyone.
I just wanted to share my story with you and ask for your advice.
I'm a dad of two lovely daughters (13 and 11 years old) and immigrated from South Korea and live in New Jersey. My wife and I decided to adopt a child from South Korea and submitted an initial application to an adoption agency. After reviewing the application, the agent informed us that there are high chances of rejection of the application along the way. The reason is that my wife was arrested for child endangerment in 2010 for leaving children in the car. At that time my three nieces were visiting us from Korea, and, being still in jet lag, they fell into sleep along with my younger daughter. My wife left two nieces and my daughter in the car in the parking lot of the store and she did not realize how dangerous it could be. The police were dispatched to the parking lot and arrested her. Thankfully, she was not convicted but admitted to the pretrial intervention program; she completed the program in 6 months and this year she became a U.S. citizen.
The adoption agent advised us to look for more flexible programs, but even after a successful home study, there are risks in this adoption process. I wonder if it is wise to pursue an international adoption or we should just stop here. I would very much appreciate your perspective and advice on this matter.
Thank you for your time and consideration in advance.