Advertisements
Advertisements
Had the trial to terminate Bmom rights today in TX. We've had our kiddo for just over a year and thought it was pretty much over. Heres the kicker, a very distant kinship member stepped up and literally the day of trial the home study was approved. Although the trial was to terminate rights, the judge also agreed to place the child with the kinship member. We were in shock. The childs attorney went with the whole thing and talking to attorneys after the trial, they were just as puzzled as to why both CPS and the attorney would move for this placement, even though the bmom has no contact with this person (it was pretty much a desperation kinship). So now the rights are terminated, but the child will go with the kinship who will ultimately look to adopt.
Of course, we want to contest and are looking to an attorney to fight for the actual adoption. We understand that once a child is placed with kinship it becomes harder to argue that the foster family is the better option. We were curious of anybody's take on the chances we actually have of winning this case. In TX, after one year in care we have more rights to become the adoptive family.
Thanks for the help.
I feel for you, however, i feel that your chances are very slim. If their application was approved then they have been vetted and its only been a year. I know a year has to seem forever to you but it isnt to a child. Staying with a family member is a huge deal for a child. I would say not knowing all the details can you still be involved in the childs life if you help with transition? I would say if you love the child make it as easy as possible for everyone involved. I am so sorry and i pray that you get your forever child soon.
Also, a sad truth is that if they have been vetted and approved then they have been in the picture in the background and i am so sorry you are just learning about it. Unfortunately, that is the typical way it happens so the foster parents dont bail out on the child before they figure out what is happening with the child. This relative must have been fighting for the kid long before a judge just says yes. I know that doesnt help in your heart but hopefully you can make a connection and stay involved.
Last update on July 20, 9:48 am by EL.
Advertisements
This. This was brought up in MAPP class. It’s possible these relatives didn’t know ahead of time about the kids. I feel for you. My first placement was sisters who were removed to be with siblings. I was devastated but it was the best thing for all involved.
I feel for you, however, i feel that your chances are very slim. If their application was approved then they have been vetted and its only been a year. I know a year has to seem forever to you but it isnt to a child. Staying with a family member is a huge deal for a child. I would say not knowing all the details can you still be involved in the childs life if you help with transition? I would say if you love the child make it as easy as possible for everyone involved. I am so sorry and i pray that you get your forever child soon.
Also, a sad truth is that if they have been vetted and approved then they have been in the picture in the background and i am so sorry you are just learning about it. Unfortunately, that is the typical way it happens so the foster parents dont bail out on the child before they figure out what is happening with the child. This relative must have been fighting for the kid long before a judge just says yes. I know that doesnt help in your heart but hopefully you can make a connection and stay involved.