Advertisements
Advertisements
I am the maternal aunt to my 13-year-old niece who resides in California.
I want to do a kinship adoption. I know I will need to do an ICPC.
Her birth mother (my sister) is willing to sign over her parental rights to let the adoption go forward.
Her birth father had his parental rights terminated.
She is currently living with her grandmother who has guardianship in California. Grandmother and the rest of the family are not on good terms. Long story will not go into detail.
Is anyone willing to share their experience with an ICPC from California? Any advice?
Right now I have not started the process. I am just gathering information to make sure my ducks are in a row.
One of my biggest concerns is the size of my house when they do a home check. It's 1080 ft², 3 bedroom 2 bath with currently myself, my husband, our two daughters and our son living there. The girls would share a 100 ft² bedroom with a triple bunk bed to keep floor space. I have a 16-year-old and 10-year-old daughter so my niece would be right in the middle.
I have been able to find information regarding becoming a foster parent and housing size in both Nevada and California but I cannot find anything regarding kinship adoption.
Any advice or any experience you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.