Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello!
My husband and I are a somewhat younger couple (I am almost 30 and he is almost 26) and we both want to adopt a child from foster care. We are considering an age range of 8-12 because we are so young, though I am more open to children who are a little older. I am a high school teacher at a private academy and my husband is in law enforcement. We have no biological children of our own, but we do have dogs. :)
We have a slight preference for boys, though we remain open to both genders. We have not yet really gotten into the process yet. I have just reached out to an adoption coordinator and I will be speaking with her on my lunch break.
I was hoping to get a some advice from people more seasoned than I!
Are tweens/early teens too old for us given our current ages?
Will having dogs be an issue for prospective children?
Are there scholarships out there I can research for private schools (middle and high school)? I want any child we bring home to have the benefit of private, individualize instruction and the class sizes at my school are thankfully small. Plus I know my fellow co-workers well and I would be able to be a very active participant in our prospective kiddo's education.
I am so excited and nervous. I want to bring a kiddo into our home and devote love, time, structure, and attention to him/her, but I want to ensure we aren't putting the cart before the horse and setting ourselves up for failure by looking at an older age range who might not see us a both authority figures and a place of safety.
Tweens and teens are not too old to adopt for you or your husband. Sometimes some states require you to be 10 years older than the child you are adopting so just keep that in mind.
Some kids that are in the system like animals, including dogs. I would read up on some kids profiles you are considering and see if they like dogs.
Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to the private school scholarship question.
Good luck with your adoption!
Hello!
My husband and I are a somewhat younger couple (I am almost 30 and he is almost 26) and we both want to adopt a child from foster care. We are considering an age range of 8-12 because we are so young, though I am more open to children who are a little older. I am a high school teacher at a private academy and my husband is in law enforcement. We have no biological children of our own, but we do have dogs. :)
We have a slight preference for boys, though we remain open to both genders. We have not yet really gotten into the process yet. I have just reached out to an adoption coordinator and I will be speaking with her on my lunch break.
I was hoping to get a some advice from people more seasoned than I!
Are tweens/early teens too old for us given our current ages?
Will having dogs be an issue for prospective children?
Are there scholarships out there I can research for private schools (middle and high school)? I want any child we bring home to have the benefit of private, individualize instruction and the class sizes at my school are thankfully small. Plus I know my fellow co-workers well and I would be able to be a very active participant in our prospective kiddo's education.
I am so excited and nervous. I want to bring a kiddo into our home and devote love, time, structure, and attention to him/her, but I want to ensure we aren't putting the cart before the horse and setting ourselves up for failure by looking at an older age range who might not see us a both authority figures and a place of safety.
Advertisements