Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello everyone, it seems I have stumbled on exactly the people I need to speak with!
Yesterday (Sunday) it was brought to my attention that my sister has a daughter, and that daughter is and has been in foster care since she was born -- FIFTEEN MONTHS AGO. Naturally I told my husband and we decided immediately that we need to step forward for her, my sister and I have different mothers and were raised largely apart from one another thus the extreme differences in our lives.
This morning I called the office in the town she lives to try and find her social worker as soon as they opened and finally made contact this afternoon and from what I understand my niece is now a permanent child in care ( I am sorry I dont know the terminology) and is now considered adoptable. This makes me think her foster parents are wanting to adopt her, but I only just found out about her and want desperately to bring her into my family and at least be able to offer her a piece of her heritage.
Is it wrong of me to move forward? Is it too little too late? The social worker didn't tell me the foster parents were wanting to make their home hers forever and seemed overjoyed that a family member had surfaced. I just want to do the right thing, and clearly no one else in that side of the family feels the same way.
If they have been with their foster home for 15 months why would you want to take her away the only caregivers that she knows, and loves her? If the foster parents DO NOT want to adopt her, then yes and not allow her to yet move into another strangers home. You can offer for visits or stay in contact with her with her foster parents. I'm a foster mom, and we had a good relationship with our foster son's cousin, she even used to baby sit for us, and take our foster son with her son on weekends. SHE did NOT WANT to seperate him from his adoptive home. To me a mom and dad who have cared for a very long time and attached is more important than "heritage" but that's my personal opinion. She can find her heritage as she grows older. Children suffer the most when they get seperated from people they have attached to and have a good relationship with. that's my opinion...I'm sure you will get more. Good luck.
Advertisements