Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Honestly, there’s no way to know. Keep a close eye on them. Good luck!
Hello,
Looking for a little advice for our current situation. My husband and I have a 13 year old son and an 11 year old daughter. We have been foster parents in the past. We fostered toddlers, but for many reasons, we chose to stop. My heart has always been open to fostering, but the process of certification was not something I was in a hurry to do again. Fast forward 5 years to two weeks ago. My husband coaches our son's football team and one of the boys on his team sort of disappeared on us. After making a few phone calls to find out what happened him, we discovered he was in foster care and was just removed from the home he was in and there were no other options for placement. He would likely be placed in a group home and potentially age out of the system without ever being adopted. My husband and I spoke with our children about it and decided to try fostering again. He is a sweet, kind, respectful kid and he keeps telling us how happy he is to be with us. I realize we are probably in a honeymoon phase, but things are going really well.
The big issue here is I have had multiple people voice their concerns over our daughter. We have spoken to all of the kids individually about what is appropriate and and how we can maintain boundaries. We are inviting a boy to live in our home who has a very concerning past, so we installed a lock on our daughter's door and told her it needs to be locked if she is changing or sleeping. For only being a week in, it is honestly going way better than I thought it would and way better than fostering toddlers ever went. Rules are being followed and everyone is being very respectful of each other's personal boundaries. I am just unbelievably anxious that all of the naysayers are going to be proven right and this whole thing falls apart with broken hearts everywhere. Basically, I am just looking for some stories where this worked out and a little support for trying something that seems so crazy to so many people. Thank you for reading this super long post.