Advertisements
Advertisements
My name is Kaitlyn and I was adopted 2 years ago in a different state from the one I was born in. My afamily is made up of my mom and dad, older brother (1 year older than me) and younger sister (2 years younger than me). Everything was great at first. My parents really got to know me and what I liked to do in my spare time. They seemed so impressed with me. When Christmas came around after I got adopted, they knew I loved to write, so they got me a whole bunch of journals, notebooks, and pens of all different types & colors. I gave them a big hug when I opened them.
A little bit after I started at my new school though, I think my family started making it obvious that I needed to be a certain type of way to “fit in” perfectly with them. Like on the 2nd day of school, I chose a specific dress that I really liked to wear. My amom made a comment about the dress, something like it’s not something the kids usually wear to (my new school). Even though it’s not a weird looking dress in any way and it doesn’t go against the dress code. But eventually I talked her into letting me wear it. Another time was when we were eating dinner later at night than we usually do, my older brother noticed me eating the meal a certain way, and I guess he didn’t like it. It bothered him to where he called it “weird and stupid,” and that my aparents should send me back to (my home state). My parents were shocked but didn’t really stand up for me. I just told him that he was right & his way of eating it was better, so I did that and thanked my parents for the dinner. But as soon as I got to my room I cried a lot. It made me sad because my brother likes a lot of the same games/things I do, but he was always weirded out by me for some reason. I’m not as cool as him you could say.
What really started to scare me was something that happened at the beginning of this year. My sister somehow fell in the living room, and when I ran there from the kitchen when I heard the noise, she was holding her shoulder. I grabbed some ice & wrapped it in some paper towels, and held it there for her. She seemed okay but I was planning on telling my mom when she got back from running errands. But when she came in the door and saw us there, for some reason she thought I hurt her in some way. She started yelling at me, asking me what I did to her and started calling me a bitch. I ended up crying and telling her right away that she fell by herself. My mom didn’t believe me at first but she eventually did after she talked to my sister. I stayed in my room for the rest of the night, I wrote in one of my journals and after everyone went to bed, I cleaned & organized my room completely so my parents would be happy.
So I try not to get in my family’s way, I pretty much feel like I’m staying at a stranger’s house instead of my adopted family’s house. I feel like my sister and dad are the only ones who actually love me and like having me around. My sister seems to look up to me and my dad makes me feel loved here. I cry almost every day, knowing my mom and brother will never love me like I do with all of my family. I just want the whole family to accept me, and not make me feel like they regretted adopting me. How do I deal with this? Should I talk to my parents? Thank you guys so much for your help :)