Advertisements
Advertisements
(Indiana) I have had my nephew for 8 months, however he has been out of his parents house for 15/22 months. He was taken at birth for being born addicted to meth, given back to the parents for a month, and then placed with my family. My brother (his dad) has done absolutely nothing to get his son back, he hasn’t attended more than 3 visits in the last 8 months. He has basically been uninvolved. His mother hasn’t attended visits for 4 months. She has also not completed any of her case plan (substance abuse treatment, parenting classes, therapy, and passing drug tests). She has refused every drug test she has been given. Today, a motion to suspend visits was filed. She also has 5 other kids she does not have custody of.
Additionally, my brother is jail. A few months ago he threatened to kill our previous social worker. She obviously pressed charges against him. When he was caught, he ran from the police and had 7 grams of meth in his possession. He has been to prison 2 times. They are charging him as a habitual offender. I think he will be going back to prison to serve time.
Along with not complying with the case plan, his mother has now been evicted because she relayed on my brother ‘hustling’ to pay the bills.
According to our social worker, he will be filing tpr in September because he will be out of his parents care 15/22 months. He said that the case plan will be changed to adoption. Can the baby’s parents turn things around once the tpr is filed? Can they changed the case plan back to reunification after it is changed to adoption? He said sometimes the tpr is dismissed because parents just need more time, but he said that it was not the case in this plan. We were also told by casa we could hire a lawyer to speed up the process. Do you think that is necessary or should we just wait it out?
Thanks for any and all help. I love the baby and want nothing but the best for him. But I know his parents and they are not ready to be good parents.