Advertisements
Advertisements
I am new to this board and am planning on adopting a newborn.
We have a biological son who is currently 9 years old. I
breastfed him until he was 6 months of age. I would like to
breastfeed our newborn adopted infant because I feel that she
would benefit immunologically and psychosocially from the
experience.
How successful is it to breastfeed an adopted newborn? We
are just beginning the process of open adoption through a local agency and do not anticipate receiving a newborn until
6-12 months. How do birthmothers feel about adoptive mothers
choosing to breastfeed their infants?
Sincerely,
A loving adoptive mother-to-be
Here is an idea to post on one of our forums with birthmoms...might be interesting to know:
[url="http://www.adopting.org/boards/get.cgi/messages/APBF.html"]http://www.adopting.org/boards/get.cgi/messages/APBF.html[/url]
Advertisements
Hello,
I am a birthmother of a 5year old son. I made a plan for my son to be adopted before birth. I must admit that my insides churned when I received a letter telling me that the adoptive mom was breastfeeding my son. I chose not to in hospital even though I was asked to as I felt it would be even harder to let go. But you know what? I got over it. I don't think the amom had any problem. THere is some drug you can take now a days. ANd if it helps the bonding I think it was a good thing.
Tara
you can start relactating.. using a pump etc..
I strongly recommend any woman wanting to breast feed their child to get in touch with their local le leche organization for help support, tips and ideas.. the sooner the better..
if you're planning to breast feed.. please get in contact with the le leche league in your area.. check the internet.. etc..
they will have plans, etc for you to do to help make this successfull.
I wouldn't ask your doc.. they tend to say .. "can't be done" or other fatalistic things like that..
but it CAN be done.. but too many things you need to do for me to post them here.. so again.. le leche league
It can be done, but it is pretty hard word. Often times it is done in combination with supplements. They make a system that attaches a tube to the breast that is sometimes used. You have to be pretty committed to the process, and understand that any success counts for something, even if you aren't 100% breast feeding like you might have with a bio. child.
Advertisements
I'm a possible bmom. The first aparents I chose were going to breastfeed which was perfect. They wanted me to breastfeed for the first few days to give the baby the nutrition they couldn't. Plus it makes the transition easier. I think it's great that you want to breastfeed! Good luck on finding a bmom that really appreciates what you are wanting to do for their birthchild!
Be encouraged! I was able to do this, even without preparation. I breast fed my three bio children, but the youngest was 10 years older than our adopted baby girl. Still, I experienced the feeling of "let down" even as I held her in my arms at the hospital; and though I wasn't producing enough milk to feed her exclusively, it was a way for her to get some milk (it increased over time) and to experience comfort and closeness. We did this for about four or five months, but her appetite had increased by that time and she wasn't satisfied with the breast anymore. Still, I am so glad I did this.
It was different than with the boys, I had not engorgement (not that much milk, I guess) and my breast size/texture didn't change as much. But you could see milk in the corners of her mouth as she nursed, especially in the later months.
I wasn't really looking for full nutrition for her, I wanted the bonding/closeness. Basically, I had no problem being a pacifier if that was all that happened! But it turned out to be more.
I'm told that if I had used a bottle with tubes and formula attached to my breasts during nursing, and/or if I had pumped ahead of time, I may have been able to produce enough milk to completely satisfy her needs.
Pretty cool, huh? We're amazing creatures.
I am glad to see some other people out there are talking about this. DH and I are just starting the home study process and are leaning toward Domestic Adoption. I wanted to know more about breastfeeding newborns because it sounds like a great idea to me. Thanks for posting this and thanks to all who shared!
There are plenty of resources online regarding breastfeeding your newborn adopted child. Depending on the relationship with bmom, you may have the option for her to pump for you. My daughter's bmom did not breastfeed but delivered her milk to me for the first 3-4 weeks. She didn't get breast milk exclusively but I felt comforted knowing she got some. You also have to trust what bmom is eating/drinking is good for your baby. Best wishes to you!
Advertisements