Advertisements
Advertisements
Originally Posted By Candi
Alaska is an "open state."
That means, when a person turns 18 they can write to the Dept of Vital Statistics for their original birth certificate that should have their birth name, birthmother's name, and maybe even the birthfather's name on it.
Alaska Law
The law permits adoptees who are age 18 or older access to their original birth certificates upon request. They can also receive any change of address or name that is in the file. Birth parents may receive the identifying information on their child when an adoptee is age 18 or older, if there is a request on file for such disclosure by an adoptee.
Adoptive parents and adult adoptees may receive non-identifying information including the following: heritage- ethnic background- tribal membership, medical information, age of the parent at the time of relinquishment, educational background, religion, a physical description, existence of siblings, whether birth parent was alive at the time of adoption, and any information that may have been provided by the birth parent for the adoptee, such as letters, photographs, and a statement concerning the reasons for the adoption.
There is no INTERMEDIARY SYSTEM
Adoptees can get ADOPTION DECREE, ADOPTION RECORDS,
and NON-ID INFO
COURT OF JURISDICTION: Superior Court
STATE ARCHIVES: State Library History & Archives
State Office Building, Pouch G, Juneau, AK 99801
You can inspect and copy HOSPITAL RECORDS
DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES: MVR Desk,
Division Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 20020
Juneau, AK 99802-0020
907-465-4335, age 16
There is a STATE REUNION REGISTRY:
Department Health
Social Services Post Adoption Unit
Pouch H-05
Juneau, AK, 99811
907-465-3631
I am a birthmom who had daughter born 3/9 or 3/12/1967. My name, Marilee Anne, daughter's name, Laura Lee. Laura born in a catholic hospital in Fairbanks. Father's last name was Messer.
Advertisements
I have contacted the proper agency in Juneau, sent pictures and letters.....the lady I spoke to over the phone asked me for my Son's birth name, when I gave it, I heard an audible oh-oh She would not explain. I am having trouble searching postings to see if my Son has been searching. I will be happy to give all info if you can direct me to the area where I need to search. This site is not easy. Molly
my Daughter Was Born July 22 1981.Her Name Is Lorrette Louise Beaulieu.I Also Have A Nother Son Name Is Walter Wayne Mantor He Was Born May22 1976 In San Jose Calif
Hi, I believe I am your former sister-in-law, you were married to my brother Walter Wayne Mantor? Is your name kim?
My twin sisters were born in Anchorage prior to statehood.
When one went to get information from the file she was given the birth certificates, and told the other information was "private".
Does the information regarding a territorial birth fall under state jurisdiction now? Is there any reason that hospital records wouldn't be available?
BTW both of our parents are deceased.
Advertisements
I just recieved my original birth certificate prior to adoption and it was SO amazing! More information than I ever expected or imagined!
Birthname: Bobbi Jean Spivey
Birthmother: Cynthia Jean Nelson
Birthfather: Robert Lee Spivey
I was born 08/10/79 at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital.
The information I recieved was great but I'm wondering, where do I go from here? Any advice? Also, if there were letters or anything in my file, would they have come with my birth certificate or do I ask someone else for that?
Thanks for your help!