Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
Just wanted to say hello to the other "older" parents out there! My dh and I both were over the age of 35 when we adopted our children ages 5 and 4. We feel that being older has it's advantages and disadvantages. Some of the advantages are that we are now financially set to enjoy the children and not have to worry about finances in any way. We have a lot of family values and traditions built that have been in our families and we would like to continue to share these with our children. I am not saying that the younger parents won't but like all things times have changed and many are away from family due to jobs etc. so it's hard to get involved with grandparents etc on the holiday! The traditions can still be set in all though!
I am happy we adopted later in life rather than earlier. But and this is a BIG but, we hope there our energy level stays with us for the duration of childhood;) . The younger group .....you have it made!:) ! So, as you can see being older has it's pro's and cons!
talk to you soon!
Amy
YIKES! I never considered myself "an older mom" but I guess I am. I was 36, and Matt was 37 when we adopted our sons (twins at birth). We hope to adopt again before they turn 4 (in 2006).
Advertisements
Hi!
DH will be 35 this May and I'll be 37 in Oct., we just entered the Infant Open Adoption waiting family books so we're not parents yet, but feel like expectant parents.
Congratulations and best wishes to all!:D :D :D :D
Hugs,
Deb
Hi.
I'm 36 and dh is 37. We have a 10 week baby boy through domestic open adoption.
The biggest positive factor we see again and again is our much higher level of patience than we had 10 years ago. Our knees may creak and we're ready for bed about the time the baby is, but we can tolerate the crying and we can laugh at many things that would have upset us years ago. I think our easy going approach makes the baby more relaxed and secure. I can honestly say I'm glad to be an "older" mom. :D
hI,
I'm 40 (41 Dec 22nd) and DH is 46. We now want to adopt. I'm glad to see that there are other older parents out there. I too feel that this is the time to raise a child. I feel accomplished, mature and ready to give all my love to a child! I can't wait!
Barb
Hi. I am 46 and DH is 47. WE are in the process of adopting a 22 mo. old boy who has been with us since he was 6 days old. We are foster parents. I have 2 bio children. DD 25 and DS 22. I also have another DS, who is 14. (we are legal guardians, have had him since 14 mos old) Our friends think we are nuts. We agree!;)
Advertisements
Hi everyone!
Very new to this forum. I think this is my first post? (can ya tell I have Mommy brain? :)) DH and I were both 41 when our infant daughter came home. She just turned 3 last week. Yes, I love that I'm older for a lot of reasons but I will admit that I would have loved to have been a bit younger.....if I had a do-over AND I would still have my same little peanut I would have started at least 5...maybe 10 yrs earlier. Glad parenthood didn't come in our 20's. Knowing now what I didn't know then. Also if we had been somewhat younger we more than likely would have adopted again. (not sure if that is a plus or a minus? We are very lucky as our daughter was such an easy baby! I would have done it again in a second....Daddy had other ideas!) Yes, in a whole lot of ways she keeps me young (although I was never "my age" :) That I refuse to grow up thing :)) but in other ways....I'm TIRED! :)
BTW Hi, I'm Nancy. Travel Agent in my previous life....now a SAHM to my beautiful (although saved her terrible 2's for 3) daughter. Married for 23 yrs this year to my HS sweetheart. Right now freezing outside and inside watching Blues Clues.
Hello Amy and All, DH and I just brought our DD home on Dec 2nd 1 day old. I am 43 DH is 35. I also have 2 teen BioDD's from a prevous marriege. But I beleive now that patiens is one of my strongest points and realy having a understanding of DD's development so on and so forth. I love being a mom at 43 and wouldn't change thing. I have friends and even family that said I was crazy for wanting to adopte a newborn or any child for that fact at my age . MY Age!!!! I'm 43 not dead I told them lol THey even asked How are you going to manage with a new baby, the sleepless nights teething extra. The same a good mother would one thing one day at time with lots and lots of Love and Pateints. :) . I feel renewd in away and am so greatful beyound words. God Bless All of You and Your Wonderful Families Bea
We are also older foster/adopt parents. I am 43, dh 46. We have 3 bc ages 25, 24, almost 23. Grandbabies 7 & 8 on the way.
We brought home our first adopted dd Aug 2002, less then a week before I turned 41. Since then, we have adopted 5 more including one we got as a newborn July 2003. Our oldest adopted is 10 1/2 yo now and youngest just turned 18 mos old.
After raising our 3 bc, we find with these 6 we have more patience and tolerance then we ever did with the older 3. Now it is x2. I like being an older "new mom". Yes, our youngest has neices and nephews older then her but it is OK. Our 3 older kids had baby girls the summer 2003 (when we got our youngest) so it was like I was pg at the same time as them. So we have 4 16-19 mo in family and they see each other weekly or daily.
I wouldn't change things if I could. They are all blessings. I am sure ds that is at home with 5 sisters would wish I'd change at least one of them to a boy:).
We still do foster care too. Have 3 now but for short term only.
God's Blessings to each and all.
Advertisements
I am 49 and my spouse is 50. We adopted one little girl from Russia and she is now 3, and we are going back for a second one, about the same age or a little bit younger. It is very rewarding adopting later in life, for sure. Sometimes, it is a bit difficult as you have to keep your energy level high, but, it does keep you "young."
Jackie and Joe
Hi
Here's another "older couple" who recently adopted. I am 38 and my hubby is 39. We have a 6 year old bio son and a 5 month old daughter. Our daughter came into our lives through a domestic infant open adoption.
I think it's great being an older mom. I am definetly more patient, more relaxed about things, settled in my home and my life. I already did all the things I wanted to do before I had my son. So, I have no regrets or wishful thinking. I am exactly where I WANT to be. I am ENJOYING and appreciating my beautiful, fantastic kids.
In addition, by the time we adopted our baby girl, I already had 6 years of mommyhood experience under my belt. So for ME, I think the fact that I am not a first time mom helps tremendously. Taking care of a second child has been a breeze compared to the first!
Best regards,
Julie
Thanks for all the positive stories from "older" parents... DH is 34 and I'm 40, we're hoping to adopt soon! It's so nice to hear other parents talking about the joys of parenting.
Keep sharing your stories, they're a real boost!!\
I was 47 and hubby 49 when we adopted 3 in 10 days- 0, 4 1/2, and nearly 6, from two international, racial/cultural backgrounds. Our first kids. The first year was a bit wild, to say the least. But our youngest is now 12, so we made it through. I always figured that kids will either keep you young, or kill you. And some days it is both.
Advertisements
Hi Everyone... I'm also adopting over 35 actually my husband is 48 and I'm 49 this will be our second adoption :) . We adopted our sweet little boy last year and have recently (1month ago ) put all our paper work in for a second child. Our little boy is 3 now and we can't wait to add a baby to our family. Both my husband and I started our families at a very young age and blended those families together when we got married 22 years ago. We have grown kids 32,29,29& 27and have raised our grandaughters 14 and 13 since they were toddlers. We love kids they keep you young I have more energy now than I did a year ago before we added our little guy to our lives ,he has brought a lot of energy to us all. Our older kids were completely behind us when we decided to do this and are crazy about there little brother and waiting impatiently for our next child to arrive its really great to see that I am not the only one doing this ...Take care and good luck to all of you. :) ...Marie
Hello all,
I am a 52 year old single mom. I have two bio's dd 32 and ds 21. I have been a foster parent for over 10 years. I just completed my homestudy for adoption through the local DHS. I am waiting for the final approval, which should be coming this next week. I'm hoping to adopt a sibling group of 2-3 kids, ages 3-10 years old. I can't wait to go and look at the binders of available kids.
I'm looking forward to chatting with others in process of adopting.
Take care of your blessings, Lori
Southern Oregon