Advertisements
Advertisements
Thanks GeorgiaMom, Sounds similiar to what we did. for over 1 year had my son rinse out his wet sheets in a bucket of vinegar and water. Also his blankets and sometimes comforter too - a then 8 yo holds a lot of urine. He then had to shower every AM to get the pee smell off his skin. He also had to remake his bed (a full size, so more difficult).
Despite the natural consequences, he made very little improvement in eneuresis. I suspect that it's either genetic or linked with his history in the orphanage. Not sure I want to know what they did to teach kids to stay in bed at night, no matter what. My son is now 10, has been home for over 6 years, and still does not get out of bed at night!!
The urologist we used has since moved, no other good options right now. So guess we will just wing it for a while. I would like to wean him off the meds, but from what I have heard, kids generally go right back to bedwetting.
DimasMom
Advertisements
I do appreciate the bedwetting information, but as accurately explained by a few of you -- I too tend to believe that abuse and intentional bathroom probs go hand in hand. A part of what you said did strick a chord with me.,. because I believe my older children are afraid of the four yr old. They would not tell me when he was doing something he shouldnt have been doing... Until I started holding them accountable.. as 'aiding and abetting' , if you will. This broke them from listening to everything he said.. he's 4 for crying out loud. They are 7 and 9!
Accountability has become important in our efforts to manage this situation. They are the ones who have to clean the closet and floor, and the dresser drawers too. To actually open the dresser drawer and take a pee in there.. I just couldnt believe it.. but anyway.. we are trying more accountability as many of you have suggested, and it seems to be helping with the older two children.
The youngest child has the most severe behavioral difficulties, and so I dont expect that accountability will work for him.. I am hoping that if I can get the older two on board, that at least they will tell me when their brother is doing something.. that way I can intervein at the appropriate time.. Instead of trying to decipher the situation after I find the poop or smell the urine. He needs redirection right away because of his mental capacity.
I thank you so much for your candid and marvelous replies to my post.
Heather