Advertisements
Advertisements
My ex-boyfriends' parental rights to our daughter were terminated in July 2002 on the grounds of abandonment. My husband adopted her in Nov. 2002. I am curious as to whether either of these procedures can be contested. Also, her grandparents on my ex's side are extremely possessive of her. They were going to take me to court before, which prompted my husband to adopt. Do they have any rights in California?
I would love to know what you found out!! We are in Kansas and are going though A step-parent adoption. The bio fathers parents have court ordered forced visitation. Iam praying that the adoption will terminate the grandparents rights,but noone has been able to give me A answer. Iam in desprate need of some help. We would love to be able to be A complete famiely without interfernce of the exs famiely.
Advertisements
I live in NC, but I'll still tell you what my experience has been regarding grandparent rights. My ex' s mother sued me for visitation rights with my daughter and LOST! The court said that since I was her legal parent, then it was at my discretion as to who I let my daughter visit or not visit. I am the one person responsible for her well being and unless I was deemed "unfit", (which wasn't even in question), then the grandparents had no rights what so ever.
You can find some great info on the internet regarding each state's guidelines, so check there to find out more about CA. Also, being remarried and having your child adopted by your spouse doesn't change anything, but it does look good because you have a stable and secure home environment.
FYI - At the preliminary hearing, the judge decided we needed to go to mediation to try to work out our differences, and my lawyer said that he (the judge) only did that because he knew that he would have to rule in my favor and that he was feeling sorry for the grandmother. As it turned out, I went to mediation and just straight out told the mediator that I was not open to any visitation and since the grandmother proceeded to show her true colors, I didn't feel guilty in the least. The mediator cannot legally share any info about what was said in her office, so she simply wrote up a statement saying that we could not reach a resolution, and then we went back to court for the final hearing a couple of weeks later.
If you go this far with it, please remember to NOT let the lawyers or the judge intimidate you. I was worried sick for a number of months while all this was going through, and in the end it all worked out and was like a bad dream.
Good luck getting your situation resolved!
Renee
..unless the grandparent(s) were abusive to the child or allowed the parent who has had his/her parental rights to see the child, why should the grandparents not be allowed to see the child(ren)? I guess that I have never understood how the grandparent (s) loses his/her rights because the parents have issues or there is a step-parent adoption. I guess what concerns me is that someone said something similar to wanting to be an entire family, after step-parent adoption, without the interference from biological grandparents. That just really sounds harsh to me; it sounds like the child(ren) and grandparents may be punished because the biological parents have issues.
Lisa
Iam A fit mother of A 7 year old girl who begs, screams, hides and fakes illness not to go with the grandparents. Harsh? Besides if a step-parent adopts a child and takes all the responalbilties of A father should he not be the father? Where are the laws to protect his rights? And by the way, just because they are grandparents, doese not make them good!!! Iam worried because it should terminate their rights, they would no-longer be related to the child if A stranger adopted her,why is it , that two loving parents can not make choices for their child?
hello, i'm also looking in to a step adopting and was wandering that myself. on all the sites that i have found it states that once the parents rights are termanaited, that also includes that familys. Unless it is written to be otherwise OR they sue for their rights. so once the adoption went threw/goes threw, all leagal rights to that "side" of the family is cut. so in the eyes of the courts they are no longer family. so once/when the adoption is final it is up to you if and when anyone from that side sees or has any contact. i'm sure this is somewhat different from state to state.
i had a few sites recomended to me that i have found some new info on--- dogpile.com (its a lot like googles but does bring up different things) and --- findlaw.com
i wish you luck in all your hunting.
Joy --- Blue_Eies_20@ Yahoo.com
Advertisements
Thankyou for your repley,but the grandparents allready have court ordered visitation.I think after the adoption in done(about 6 weeks) then we have to take them back to court.I wish there were better laws to protect the parents,it seems like the step-parent who adopts has even less rights.
It really depend on the judge and your desire to follow through. I t can get expensive, do your homework be persistant. Grandparents are important to a childs life but when you adopt a child you want that child to be blended in with your family as if it never had to happen that way. You want that child to feel as if you were thier birth mother. When that child is made to see the biogp's is disrupts the child's life and the feeling of being the same as other children. They also are constantl reminded that they were not wanted by the bio parent and seeing the bio gp's is not healthy for most kids. We were are currently in court for bio gp' rights and their case is very weak.
I would love to know what you found out!! We are in Kansas and are going though A step-parent adoption. The Biological fathers parents have court ordered forced visitation. Iam praying that the adoption will terminate the grandparents rights,but noone has been able to give me A answer. Iam in desprate need of some help. We would love to be able to be A complete famiely without interfernce of the exs famiely.
I, too, am in Kansas going through the same situation. Grandparent visitation was granted, now we are moving to a step-parent adoption. Did your ex-inlaws still get visitation after that stepparent adoption? Would love to reference your case if we go to trial.
I live in NC, but I'll still tell you what my experience has been regarding grandparent rights. My ex' s mother sued me for visitation rights with my daughter and LOST! The court said that since I was her legal parent, then it was at my discretion as to who I let my daughter visit or not visit. I am the one person responsible for her well being and unless I was deemed "unfit", (which wasn't even in question), then the grandparents had no rights what so ever.
You can find some great info on the internet regarding each state's guidelines, so check there to find out more about CA. Also, being remarried and having your child adopted by your spouse doesn't change anything, but it does look good because you have a stable and secure home environment.
FYI - At the preliminary hearing, the judge decided we needed to go to mediation to try to work out our differences, and my lawyer said that he (the judge) only did that because he knew that he would have to rule in my favor and that he was feeling sorry for the grandmother. As it turned out, I went to mediation and just straight out told the mediator that I was not open to any visitation and since the grandmother proceeded to show her true colors, I didn't feel guilty in the least. The mediator cannot legally share any info about what was said in her office, so she simply wrote up a statement saying that we could not reach a resolution, and then we went back to court for the final hearing a couple of weeks later.
If you go this far with it, please remember to NOT let the lawyers or the judge intimidate you. I was worried sick for a number of months while all this was going through, and in the end it all worked out and was like a bad dream.
Good luck getting your situation resolved!
Renee
Hi
So the grandmother previous to the adopt was denied visitation rights
Now the the kids are adopted by a step parent does she have another chance for visitation rights ?
She has no bond with the kids
Just wanted to know her chances ?
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements