Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
I have been looking into adoption in Brazil. It is not difficult as people make it out to be. I am American/Brazilian living my whole life in the states I was born here. I recently had my mother return from Brazil with all the information needed. You have to register with CEJA that would include your homestudy and INS paper. As soon as a child is avalible they will contact you. You do need someone there who you can give power of Attorney to so they can keep onto of Ceja. after the child is located then you will need an attorney to help you finialize everything. This info came straight from Ceja. They say the wait can be anything can be a week a month a year all depending on what you are looking for. It is totally free to adopt in Brazil. I am going to begin my Homestudy late January and persuing the adoption on my own. The agencies charge so much money when it isnt even necessary. Anyone looking into adopting from Brazil contact CEJA you will the process is relativly easy just alot of paper work.
I would love to chat with people who have adopted and see how there process went or people in the process.
Good Luck to everyone
Natacha
Advertisements
Greetings!
Do someone know if there is some agency authorized in Canada, whatever provice, to intermediate international adoption of a Brazilian child?
Thanks in advance,
Pierre.
G
Pierre,
Why don't you contact Limiar? I know a few Canadians who adopted from Brazil, recently, using LimiarUSA
[url]www.limiar.org[/url] You will find their phone number and address in the website.
All the best!
ilka
is there anyone out there that can give me information on about the adoption process in Brazil. I would like to know what the CEJA is and how i go about contacting them. I am VERY ready to get this process started on that end and this end also.:thanks:
Ilke
I am not sure how to send attachment here, and my long letter is in Word attachment. Please send me a note at meuanjo@juno.com and I will do it for you.
Ilka
I just sent you an email.
Obrigado !
Advertisements
If you are willing to share the information you have regarding adoption from Brazil with me, I will be very appreciative. Thank you so much.
Nora (nbj)
I am Brazilian and my mom adopted a child in Brazil (she lives in there)... My fiancee and I are planning on adopting from Brazil.
Anyway...
Brazilian government just approved (one month ago) a new adoption bill that change things a little bit if you are looking for a baby.
The bill created a national list of prospective adoptive parents, and a national list of kids to be adopted.
Doesn't matter if you are Brazilian (like me), or if you are American. If you live out of Brazil, you are considered to International adoption.
According to the new bill, the preference now is to keep the kid inside of the country. So, once a kid is available for adoption, they will be consulting the national list and will try to find a family residing in Brazil to stay with the kid. If no one is found, the kid is made available for international adoption.
So... if you want a baby, it is almost impossible that you will get this baby from Brazil. this because, doesn't matter if you are waiting for 10 years and there is a couple who is waiting for a month. The preference will be given for the couple inside of the country.
In Brazil, there are thousands of couples waiting to adopt. the thing is that most of them want kids younger than 2yo.
So... What happens is that usually the kid who will make available for international adoption are most likely to be the ones older than 2, usually black or mulata (Brazilians will usually only adopt older kids who are white), or infants, when they are part of sibling groups.
It is not hard at all to adopt from Brazil, if you are open minded in the age.
Hi,could anyone send me a copy of the ceja requirements for adoption? I'm moving to Brazil and trying to figure out what documents I need to authenticate in the US before I go. Thanks for any help. my e-mail is
ebazar@hotmail.com
Advertisements
Mama Julie
It didn't turn out to be free for us because we were stuck in Brazil for 7 months, which meant 7 months worth of lost salary for my husband & me. Also travels back & forth from BeloH to NY, etc., everything totalled more than $25K. It took long because CEJA only has a monthly meeting where they discuss cases, so we were holding on month to month, wondering if we would be able to keep our son or not. We finally did come home with our wonderful son, so all was worth it of course.
Hi Mama Julie...
Would it be possible to get your personal email info. about your experience with Brazil adoption? I have a bunch of questions. I am trying to proceed in the same manner in terms of adopting internally in Brazil through CEJA instead of forking out $30K to an agency here and don't even know where to begin. I am going to be traveling to Brazil this December and January and would like to get the process started. I'm assuming I need to contact a CEJA office right? Any help would be really appreciated. You can also contact me at brasilcolorido@yahoo.com.
Please remember that both the U.S. and Brazil are now parties to the Hague Convention on intercountry adoption. This is very important, because the rules that you may have heard about some years ago have CHANGED. They have become more strict and more complex.
The homestudy requirements have changed. The U.S. immigration requirements have changed. You will almost certainly need to use an American agency accredited by the Hague, or an American attorney approved by the Hague; there's a list of such agencies and approved attorneys on the State Department website.
You also need to remember that Brazil gives first preference to prospective parents who are Brazilian citizens. Because of this fact, you are likely to be able to adopt from Brazil only if you are open to a school aged child (six and over), a sibling group where at least one child is school aged, or a child with significant special needs. There simply aren't enough healthy infants, toddlers, and preschoolers, even to accommodate all of the Brazilians who want to adopt.
And it probably goes without saying that you will probably not be able to specify race or color when you adopt from Brazil. Brazil is a multi-racial, multi-ethnic society, which has people of European, Asian, African, and indigenous (Indian) ancestry, and especially people who are of mixed ancestry. The country is very proud of its diversity.
That being said, the greatest need at the present time is for homes for children who are Black or of mixed heritage and Black appearance, and the child referred to you is likely to have such heritage or appearance. If you are worried about the challenges involved in parenting a Black child in the U.S., or about possible racism within your extended family, you really need to consider whether Brazil is right for you.
Sharon
Dear Natacha, It's been a long time now you have posted your message regarding the adoption process in Brazil but you might be able to help us.
We would like to know how to constitute our file to register to CEJA directly. Thanks in advance, Burgundy
Go to the adoption website of the U.S. State Department, which has a page on adoption from Brazil. The web address is [url]http://forums.adoption.com/brazil-adoption/88731-adopting-brazil-4.html[/url]. You will be able to view a ton of information about the requirements and the process.
Sharon
Advertisements
Hello! Are you Americans that adopted through LIMIAR? Domestically or Internationally? I would be curious to hear how your adoption process worked... Thanks!
Ilke
I want to let people know that the children that are up to adoption in Brazil are totally legal for adoption and acceptable in the USA.
They do meet US government requirement in terms of eligibility. As long as the adoption process is done through CEJA, wich is the government organ that deals with the orfas, and the only legal way to adopt there.
If anyone has any question please be free to ask me. We are very close to go to Brazil and pick up our children, and it has been a delight to work together with LIMIAR, who works directly with CEJA.
Hello, my wife and I are slowly starting the process of information gathering, research, etc on adopting in Brazil. Any good agency recommendations? Would appreciate any feedback on your experiences! Also, does anybody know if a prior cancer diagnosis would exclude us as potential adoptive parents in Brazil. I know some countries won't allow people to adopt if they've had cancer.
Thanks
Chris