Advertisements
Advertisements
I am in the process of adopting from Brazil through One World Adoptions and LIMIAR. If anyone can let me know about the actual trip to Brazil please email me directly. Thanks Stacey
Advertisements
I am interested in adopting my cousins 8 year old daughter from Belem-Para who was abandoned by her mother and is being cared for my her maternal grandmother, my maternal aunt...who does not have the financial means to care for this 8 year old in addition to her 2 siblings.
Any information you can share via email @ mbalarin@msn.com I greatly appreciate.
God Bless!
One thing that needs to be taken into consideration, in terms of U.S. citizens adopting from Brazil, is that Brazil has ratified Hague Convention #33 on intercountry adoption.
Although the U.S. signed the treaty years ago, and passed the necessary implementation legislation (the Intercountry Adoption Act) in 2000, we have NOT yet ratified the Convention. The reason is the difficulty of putting together a Hague-compliant system and getting the State Department's processes organized so that it can function as the Central Authority under the treaty. Currently, the State Department is projecting ratification for 2007, although some knowledgeable people believe that it won't occur until 2008 or later.
Because the U.S. has not ratified the Hague, some Brazilian states will not allow children to be adopted by U.S. citizens, or put up a lot of roadblocks. If you are planning to adopt an identified child, you had better be sure that the state in which the child lives will place children with American families. Likewise, if you plan to do an independent adoption, you need to be aware that you may be limited in terms of the states that will work with you.
Also, Brazil gives strong preference to people who are of Brazilian nationality. You are unlikely to be able to adopt a very young child unless your family roots are in Brazil. But, of course, if you are Brazilian, you or your spouse must still hold U.S. citizenship in order for the U.S. government to let you bring a child into the country on an adoption visa.
I would strongly recommend that, if you are NOT pursuing an identified child, you work with an American agency that has a Brazilian program, possibly through Limiar. That way, you stand the best chance of having a smooth process.
And if you ARE adopting an identified child, I strongly recommend that you bypass agencies and contact an experienced immigration attorney in the U.S. Many agencies do not have experience working with identified children, and prefer to place children who have no one to advocate for them.
Sharon
It didn't turn out to be free for us because we were stuck in Brazil for 7 months, which meant 7 months worth of lost salary for my husband & me. Also travels back & forth from BeloH to NY, etc., everything totalled more than $25K. It took long because CEJA only has a monthly meeting where they discuss cases, so we were holding on month to month, wondering if we would be able to keep our son or not. We finally did come home with our wonderful son, so all was worth it of course.
Hello Gillighan, I emailed you so you could send me a copy of this big email if you still have it. If you are still reading the board, can you help?
Thanks in advance.
Advertisements
can i get a copy of "the long letter" i'm in the domestic foster/adopt program right now but i am also intersted in foreign adoption. also i am a single straight male with 4 bio kids. what are brasil requirements?
hi! my husband and i are thinking of adopting from haiti, but i lived in brazil and would like to know more...can someone tell me exactly what the process is? you have to go first and meet with ceja, or you apply and then they find a child, give you a referral, then you work with lawyers on both ends? how long does each part take? how much information can you get about the kids? when and for how long do you travel to brazil? thanks!! christina
Advertisements
Greetings!
Do someone know if there is some agency authorized in Canada, whatever provice, to intermediate international adoption of a Brazilian child?
Thanks in advance,
Pierre.
G
Pierre,
Why don't you contact Limiar? I know a few Canadians who adopted from Brazil, recently, using LimiarUSA
[url]www.limiar.org[/url] You will find their phone number and address in the website.
All the best!
ilka
is there anyone out there that can give me information on about the adoption process in Brazil. I would like to know what the CEJA is and how i go about contacting them. I am VERY ready to get this process started on that end and this end also.:thanks:
Ilke
I am not sure how to send attachment here, and my long letter is in Word attachment. Please send me a note at meuanjo@juno.com and I will do it for you.
Ilka
I just sent you an email.
Obrigado !
Advertisements
If you are willing to share the information you have regarding adoption from Brazil with me, I will be very appreciative. Thank you so much.
Nora (nbj)