Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Okay, in retrospect, I kinda laugh when I think about the whole lying thing. But, when you are a kid, and you take these lies to be the truth, it really can mess with your brain!
In my case, they had no information on my birthdad. So the agency made up some stuff...i.e., he was tall, dark, olive skin complexted, etc. Okay, apparently, he was kinda short, slight build, and very much nordic white.
Okay, they also felt that they could play with my nationality. So, I grew up thinking I was polish/swedish. Let me just say, there were many disrupted family dinners when racially sensative grandpa started cracking polish jokes. I was fit to be tied.
Hmm...b/mom was listed as a larger woman, of medium height, and some other bull. I think these people actually sat around, with coffee and donuts wondering what they could say on the paper work. Especially since the b/mom didn't have to sign off on it. It's kinda twisted.
Well, let me relate, just a little something. When I was about 6 or so, I heard bagpipes for the first time, and started crying, as it was in my words, the most beautiful sound I had ever heard. My poor mother thought i had cracked my lid. Every time I heard bagpipes I cried, it was something very sad deep down that would grab at my soul. Then there was the year that I told my mom I was going to live in England, and spoke with a scottish dialect for a year...drove my poor mom NUTS. As it turns out, when I met my birthmom, she informed me that my Grandfather was from Scotland, and he had died in a car accident when my b/mom was only 3 years old. As it turns out, I look an awful lot like him. In addition, my father was a bit of a cowboy from the midwest, thus the reason I was able to start riding a horse at 8 years old like the lone ranger.
They may think the lies were said to help us "feel better", or to enhance our esteem...but in retrospect, it was just plain mean, and downright ignorant.