Advertisements
Advertisements
If anyone has received an update on adoptions from the country of Latvia please post to the forum.
Appreciate your willingness to share.
Thanks.
I have an excellent translator who is very honest. I would recommend her highly! you may need an attorney for the final court--just for the hour of the court--the translator can find one for there as well.
I found the orphanage on the internet and have put pix up with the orphanage directors permission on a private website. There is a bit of info on each child. This orphanage has children 3-18. I mostly was with the 9-14yo kids. They all have baggage to deal with --seems the little ones sometimes had more than the older ones. But my older ones are adjusting as well as the younger ones. We are working thru the sub-conscious anger they have about their childhoon which comes out in odd situations sometimes.
The Director, Zenta, is very very pro-adoption and really will help to move the process forward. They know its the only chance these kids have. If they are not adopted, they will have the orphanage stigma all their lives. I recommend the book "Holding Time" and the recommendations it has are excellent.
any more questions?? It is a simple process--but can be lengthy! Once you ID the kids you want, the process begins!
Advertisements
Hi Bobzem,
I read your various posts on Latvian adoptions and was wondering if you can guide us with the name of the attorney and translator you used. My husband and I are seeking to adopt a boy under 5 years of age and would be very interested in adoption from Latvia.
Do you think it's possible for one of us to travel to Latvia and Identify a child by visiting various orphanages?
Jackie
------------------------------------------------------- ---------
Originally posted by bobzsem
I I found the orphanage on the internet and have put pix up with the orphanage directors permission on a private website. There is a bit of info on each child. This orphanage has children 3-18.
The Director, Zenta, is very very pro-adoption and really will help to move the process forward. They know its the only chance these kids have. If they are not adopted, they will have the orphanage stigma all their lives.
any more questions?? It is a simple process--but can be lengthy! Once you ID the kids you want, the process begins!
I would say that is entirely possible. I can give you a website if you email me directly with the pix on it that I took. I have connections to a few other orphanages as well. Please remember, most children in Latvia have siblings who should not be split up if possible. They also do better together and behave better together than separately!
bobzsem <zsem@bellsouth.net>
I hadn't checked the forums in a while, but I was very excited to find the information on Latvian adoption. I am a Latvian speaking Latvian-American. My husband and I are on the Sekretariat's list to adopt two siblings from Latvia. We are interested in the pre-school, toddler age group, but would possible consider older children as well. I am very interested in the web site about the orphanages. I know that the key is making contact with the orphanage directors, but wasn't sure how this was affected by the new laws of 3/03.
I was considering making a trip over there to ID the children, but all the travel can get very expensive. I have many contacts over there who can help, but it is still difficult doing this from overseas. We are not using an agency.
I would love to know the address of your web site.
My wife and I are looking to adopt older children - 8 year and below. A sibling group if possible. Does anyone recommend a specific agency to work with.
Advertisements
We have completed our adoptions for now--4 of the group of 7....it was not too bad. I did spend almost 3 mos in LV to conserve money on airfare and to facilitate bonding...4 mos later, it was the best possible thing I could have done.
There were 2 courts and one government approval and we were done. Not so simple of course, but there is no agency required or even suggested...
Not even an attorney is required for most of it, only 2 steps, about 1-2 hours each...
Latvia adoption is not only possible, it is an answer of life for these children who otherwise will go back to the web of dispair that landed them in the orphanage to begin with!
Hi,
My husband and I are adopting 2 children ages 11 and 13. We started our paper work after they left the states in January. They were here for a month through The Open Door Adoption Agency out of Marietta GA. It was a hosting program that they got to come over and meet potential parents. Go to google.com and type in The Open Door Adoption Agency and read more. I work with LeAnn who you will read about on there.
Please be aware that the agency you mentioned is both overpriced and not particularly honest. We began the process with them and were most unhappy with their foot dragging...especially after we did all the work.
Hi Bobzsem,
I command you for doing all that work regarding the adoption yourself and being willing to share with us.
If I can save some money, I don't mind to do the work.
I am concerned about RAD. Are the orphanages there testing the children for RAD? Is possible to have the child tested by your doctor?
We have seen some pictures on Yunona web, and the children there are just wondefull. We wanted to adopt them all.
Could you please point me to the pictures you mentioned in your previous emails?
Could you also provide me with the translator information? How did you pay her? By day?
Thank you so much for all your help.
Marinela
mselseth@comcast.net
Advertisements
hi, your entries are really helpful. have you stayed in contact with the director at the orphanage? do you have an email address for her? how much did the adoptions cost? we are interested in adopting silbings..thanks
We have stayed in touch...and all together for everything..and I mean all, we spent 24K for 4 sibs.
Hi, Am looking @ international adoption of child with special needs @ Latvia and would welcome any advice, Thank you !:
I do not know much about special needs adoption in Latvia except that there are many children with special needs who are available. Latvia has a list of children available for adoption on their adoption web site. The link is [url]http://www.**.gov.lv/eng/adoption/[/url]. Hope this helps and best wishes. (Where there are ** in the link, should be the letters b m)
Advertisements
We are at the tail end of our adoption of a beautiful 12-year old from Latvia. I'm actually leaving in about 3 weeks to bring her home.
We met her through a hosting program that brings older children (10 or older) to the US to spend time with families during the summer and at Christmas. We were able to adopt independently which saved us a lot of money. From beginning to end, our process has taken about 10 months. The hosting program is called Simply for Latvia.
The process for older children seems to be quicker. I've heard the wait for babies is at least 2 years or more.