Advertisements
Advertisements
i have been looking for my daughter for 29 years she was born may 1 1974,,, but i have also been wondering about some of the girls i was at the home with,,, and if they are looking for thier child and if they have had any luck...thanks donna
Advertisements
Good Luck in your search!!
I was adopted through CC in Trenton. I don't know much about St. Elizabeth's except that I and/or my b-mom was there in June 1975. I'm assuming that this was a place for young mother's to go...any information on St. Elizabeth's would be helpful. Please email me...flanaganak@yahoo.com
Originally posted by Flanaganak
...any information on St. Elizabeth's would be helpful.
I'm a birth mother and I was there in 1969. It was a "home for unwed mothers" that was something like a cross between a college dorm and a reformatory. We had to use aliases for our last name.
There were also three nurseries in the building with babies waiting to be adopted. If I remember correctly the capacity was about 8 babies per nursery. Some of them were babies born to mothers in the home, some weren't. I don't know what the rules were then. I know one girl I was in with was from Louisiana, and when her baby was born it was sent out of the nursery within a day or two. My son stayed there for a month because of NJ law -- something I didn't find out until the month was up and they called me to sign the papers.
If you have any specific questions I'll answer them if I can.
1 Liked
 likes this.
My mother "supposedly" delivered me 11/26/68 at St. Francis in Trenton but she was housed at St. Elizabeth's from August-November of 1968...She delivered a month early...Does anyone recollect a woman by the name of Mary who named her daughter Patricia? Again, all this info is based upon what CC..aka the Catholic Welfare Buereau stated as facts! Any info would be grateful!
My mother "supposedly" delivered me 11/26/68 at St. Francis in Trenton but she was housed at St. Elizabeth's from August-November of 1968...She delivered a month early...Does anyone recollect a woman by the name of Mary who named her daughter Patricia? Again, all this info is based upon what CC..aka the Catholic Welfare Bureau stated as facts! Any info would be grateful!
The non ideltifying info states my mother was 5"3 and was one of NINE kids in her family...It atates in the info that the ages in her familly ranged from 21 to 4...which means I have many aunts and uncles...out there!
Advertisements
I was at St. Elizabeths in 62/63. I found my daughter in 1988 by calling the Catholic Charities in Trenton. The records are not totally sealed. They had my file in their office. I suggest you call them.
While you were at St. Elizabeth's, did you know a 20 year old woman named Dawn? She had a baby in July of 1969...a few months premature.
I'm a birth mother and I was there in 1969. It was a "home for unwed mothers" that was something like a cross between a college dorm and a reformatory. We had to use aliases for our last name.
There were also three nurseries in the building with babies waiting to be adopted. If I remember correctly the capacity was about 8 babies per nursery. Some of them were babies born to mothers in the home, some weren't. I don't know what the rules were then. I know one girl I was in with was from Louisiana, and when her baby was born it was sent out of the nursery within a day or two. My son stayed there for a month because of NJ law -- something I didn't find out until the month was up and they called me to sign the papers.
Last update on April 10, 9:08 am by megera39.
1 Liked
 likes this.
My mother was here in August 1976. I am trying to search for my brother that was put up for adoption. I'm hitting a dead end right now.
I was born 9/20/65- at St. Francis in Trenton but my birthmother was a resident of St. Elizabeth's. From my research, under what was probably an assumed name, but I could be wrong- details are very sketchy. I was lucky to be adopted by a loving mom and dad but this has been something gnawing at me for years. The birth mother's name on the original bc that I was able to obtain through the new New Jersey law, was Marion Marshall, (mine was listed as Mark Marshall) and it also said she was aged 16 years......I've done a lot of research but there is no one nationally by that name in the right age group....so my search continues, I'm interested to know something about me, my birth father and what the circumstances surrounding how I came to be were.
Not looking to upset or cause anyone any issues......
Advertisements
I was born 9/20/65- at St. Francis in Trenton but my birthmother was a resident of St. Elizabeth's. From my research, under what was probably an assumed name, but I could be wrong- details are very sketchy. I was lucky to be adopted by a loving mom and dad but this has been something gnawing at me for years. The birth mother's name on the original bc that I was able to obtain through the new New Jersey law, was Marion Marshall, (mine was listed as Mark Marshall) and it also said she was aged 16 years......I've done a lot of research but there is no one nationally by that name in the right age group....so my search continues, I'm interested to know something about me, my birth father and what the circumstances surrounding how I came to be were.
Not looking to upset or cause anyone any issues......
Update 8/12/21: In 2018 I submitted DNA to 23 and Me and Ancestry. In August 2021 (3 yrs later) 23 and me matched me to two half brothers and a half sister. This helped me to identify my biological father as Jim Swain. I located Jim and we have texted. He is quite Ill. He is not a super super guy. Apparently had quite the MO of getting girls pregnant and denying it was him and disappearing. In my case Jim related a story of when he was a Marine that my biological mother's parents went to Lakehurst NJ (where he was stationed) and confronted him and his Command Master Sgt. about the pregnancy and Jim states that his Command Master Sgt. "advised him" not to marry my mom (which is nice way of absolving himself of any responsibility). I am interested to know about my mother, circumstances etc. and whether she is still living. I don't have an axe to grind- this is more about connecting the dots of my life and the story surrounding my birth/ adoption has always been kind of sketchy. My interaction w my biological father was brief- he doesn't remember anything other than my mom's name was "Mary" and that was about 5 Feet tall with blue eyes- he doesn't remember a last name. Be advised in your own searches: He wasn't super cooperative. I had to guilt him - he initially denied, I said I have DNA that connects me to 3 of your known children, so really its a slam dunk. This wasn't entirely a pleasant experience and my bio father wanted to take the focus off himself and put the blame on my mom and her parents, his command master sgt. or anyone else except himself. But I have a name, and enough information to know I am glad I had loving adoptive parents. I do still want to know about my mom- if she open to connecting (not in a mother son way-as no human could ever replace my adoptive mother) I'd like to connect- It won't change me or who I am but it will connect the dots to that which is 1/2 disjointed at present.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Hello... new here! I was adopted through Catholic Charities when I was 2 weeks old (b. October 1964) so my adoptive parents have and always will be my parents! But I am grateful to be here due to the selflessness of my birth mother.
I recently decided to act on the curiosity I've had my whole life about my beginnings so I applied for my original NJ birth certificate. When it came I found out my birth mother's name, (N/A for birth father), her age (17) and that she was from NY. I also finally knew what time I was born!! I did some more research to find St. Elisabeth's Home for Unwed Mothers in Yardville, NJ. I took a drive down there last year and some folks at a local bar directed me to where the home had been. Sadly, it was demolished in/around 2017 and is now just a vacant lot, but at least I was able to stand on the ground where my fetal development took place. I did the 23andme thing recently and was matched with an uncle who has the same last name as my birth mother. It's a very generic name so further research on my part hasn't revealed anything new. I did send him a message on the 23andme website, and now I will wait for a reply, which I may or may not ever receive. But, I know more now than I ever did before, and I'm ok with that.
Hello, my name James Hess! I am an adoptee born July 16, 1969 at St Francis Hospital. My birth mother came from St Elizabeth's. The name on the Vital Stats document of my mother is Janet Custis. Apparently, I was named on the document as Mark Custis. My adopted parents told me I was 6 weeks old when they got me. My parents were NJ residents at the time and went through Catholic Charities Trenton, NJ.