Advertisements
Advertisements
I am trying a new angle here, and since I live in Florida, it is difficult to access old phone books and information from 1964 for either hospitals or homes for unwed mothers in Manhattan.
Does anyone have an idea?
Thank you!
Advertisements
Hi,
Strangely enough, I'm looking for the same information. There was a place (I don't think it exists any longer) that had the name Sterling in it. It was in Manhattan, and was in existence in 1964. My birth-mother found it through an organization called Heart's Ease. I am having a terrible time finding that organization and information on the hospital/home for unwed mothers. All I know is that it was next door to Irving Berlin's house (a famous composer -- I guess the girls used to "spy" on him). I have been told that is probably in the Washington Heights area of Manhattan. I do hope this helps you. If you are able to find anything out, would you please let me know? I'm in IL & also have trouble getting info. Although I met my b-mom, she passed away in 2000, with many questions unanswered. I guess I just thought we'd have more time. I don't have a birth certificate & never have. My adoptive parents never got one for me & I always got by with my baptismal certificate. But at 40 years of age, I am seeing the need for one (you know, should Social Security still be viable when we can "retire"). I wish you good luck!
Rose :)
02/12/64
Thank you! :) I was fortunate enough to find out that I was born at Lenox Hills Hospital in Manhattan. I am assuming that was the home my birth-mother spoke of. But thanks again for your help. :)
Rose,
I was also born in Lenox Hill Hospital, on February 29, 1964! I am trying to locate the name of the maternity home, also, as my birth mother has no recollection of where it was. She told me, initially, that when her water broke, she was walked to the hospital, but later recanted that idea. She said it was a brownstone, walkup. EVERY SINGLE GIRL IN THE HOME WAS NAMED MARY. I can prove it....on my birth certificate, it says her first name is...you guessed it....Mary. Her name is not Mary, which made for a fun ride in searching for her.
If anyone feels this information is familiar, please respond. I bought my closure, found my story and NONE of it makes any sense. My bmother swears that I was kidnapped by Catholic Charities...ripped out of her arms. I'm not naive, but I have no way to disprove any of this. I am also in the dark about where I went after birth. I was adopted at 17 months of age, so where I spent my first year+ is an unfair, uncertain mystery.
If there are New York stories out there about Cathlolic Charities, please write to me as I am beginning to log facts and stories, to see what the true picture is/was.
Good Luck to everyone with a heavy heart....
Susan
Advertisements
I am looking for my sister, who was born on June 19, 1963, I believe in Lenox Hill Hospital. I just learned that my mother was in a home for unwed mothers in Brooklyn (?) but maybe that was Manhattan? My mother's name was Doris Rabidoux. Does anyone have any idea of how I'd find the records of her adoption, or even the home for unwed mothers that my mother would have been in, at that time? Thank you so much, Lisa FInn
I am trying a new angle here, and since I live in Florida, it is difficult to access old phone books and information from 1964 for either hospitals or homes for unwed mothers in Manhattan.
Does anyone have an idea?
Thank you!
Hello, in answer to your question, there was a place called Dana House on 71st or 72nd street. No longer exists, but it was run by the New York Diocese of the Episcopal church. Good luck....
Hello, in answer to your question, there was a place called Dana House on 71st or 72nd street. No longer exists, but it was run by the New York Diocese of the Episcopal church. Good luck....
Last update on June 2, 9:06 am by Glas Royal.
Advertisements
I have an address of a residence on my sister's pre adoption birth certificate. 413 E 51st st New York, NY (Manhattan) the 1940 census records show in was a maternity home. Not sure what the name was but would like to know. Birth hospital was Lenox Hill.
Attachments
image001.png (47.9 kb, 109 views)
image002.png (39 kb, 104 views)
I am looking for my sister, who was born on June 19, 1963, I believe in Lenox Hill Hospital. I just learned that my mother was in a home for unwed mothers in Brooklyn (?) but maybe that was Manhattan? My mother's name was Doris Rabidoux. Does anyone have any idea of how I'd find the records of her adoption, or even the home for unwed mothers that my mother would have been in, at that time? Thank you so much, Lisa FInn
. Lisa . I was born in manhatten June 19,1963. My birth name was Lisa Ann Rabidoux do u think I could be ur sister.. I only found out my birth name 6 yrs ago when adopted parents passed.. I couldn’t believe ur moms name I wonder if I could be ur sister?:
[quote=252568]
Hi Lisa… I was born in manhatten, born 06/19/1963…. Birth surname Rabidoux.. before changed to adoptive parents.. could I be ur sister?
Thanks ( birth name.. Lisa Ann Rabidoux) only found birth name around 6 yrs ago?
Advertisements
Trying to a hold of Lisa finn… I believe she may be my sister I never knew.. can’t seem to post on her wall.. I tried friending her but to no avail..
help? Ty
S.p. I do have an account and have the worst time trying to log in.. oh logged in finally.. technology is bot my thing