Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi Everyone:
Family vacations are such a fun time. I can remember when our kids were young and I would bring small surprises for the kids to open ever 100 miles when we were traveling to grandma's house.
We have had some great family bonding times over our family vacations. My youngest daughter is full of anticipation now at age 13 she even helps to remind me of making the camping reservations. Camping is a great family vacation. We are away from the destractions of the phone and TV and busyness of our daily lives. We have fun sharing around a campfire out on the lake or nature walks. We have a tent trailer which sure helps because all we have to pack is the food and our clothes and our canoe. One of the locations that my daughter requests frequently is a lake name Pinecrest in California.
What places do you and your familiy like to go for family vacations?
Hi,
We have made it a tradition to take our son to Cedar Point every summer. He's gone 3 times all ready (we took him 2x's his first year), and starting next year we'll make it a 2-3 day trip and stay to do the water park there as well. He loves all the rides, and can't wait until be's "big enough" to ride the Big Coasters with his Dad.
We also visit family in Florida every so often. We were just there this past fall, and spent time on the beach went to the Aquarium and did a few other special things. Including a visit to Great Grandma's and to Grandma's house.
I would like to take our little guy to Sesame Place this Spring since we'll be driving right past it. But we'll see.
Letting them open a gift every 100 miles is a cool idea. What kinds of gifts; things to entertain them on the ride?
Advertisements
Hi khnath:
Thanks for your vacation ideas. It sounds like there are many fun things to do in Florida. What state is Cedar Point in?
I love hearing about your child's anticipation towards riding the "Big Coasters" with his Dad! That is so cute.
Away time is so fun. For the "little surprises" that I put together for our kids when they were younger that you asked about; I would do different things on different trips. Some trips I would put little stickers in bags, with stationery, special pens, very small versions of Polly Pocket toys, any little toy that they might enjoy that is under $7. Some of the little party favors you sometimes see at Kmart in the party section. Not the ones that fall apart but the better quality ones. Something that they have an interest in or have asked for when you have been to the store with them but we told them that we were not there to buy them presents, etc. Perhaps when the age is appropriate baseball cards or similar. As they got older they saved up to buy their own "Game Boy" toy which I would allow them to use only at certain times this is one of the certain times a "Game Boy" electronic handheld toy was appropriate with a game that I had approved. Let's see I would put in the bags little books or accessories to another toy that they would usually bring to play with in the car. There are tape players with audio-tape books. Some have earphones. Books they like, snacks.
I would make it fun and convenient. I would store things up during the year so I would have them on hand so I would not have to shop specifically for the surprises when I had packing to do. I did limit the sugar on the trips which really help with my kids. They are pretty high energy even without the sugar LOL!
Best to you as you come up with special ideas for your family.
Thanks for sharing.
We fly somewhere for most of our vacations. Most recently, we took a B757 to Dallas. Each passenger has his/her own television with a remote. The boys thought that was the greatest thing in the world.
Now that my youngest kids are 14 and 12, (almost) it is a different ballgame. We seem to spend quite a bit of time in the car, going snow boarding in Mammoth, weekends in Palm Springs, San diego for Sea World and many trips to San Jose to visit my daughter in college. These trips are between 3 and 6 hours. Something my entire family is into, the Harry Potter books. We have all read them, and discovered "books on tape" Boy, can a 6 hour drive fly by! The cool thing is that we are all equally enthralled. Looking forward to the next one, we may just plan a trip as an excuse to listen! debi
Sabra: Cedar Point is in Sandusky Ohio. It's about a 3 hour drive
drive for us.
There are some great ideas here for entertainment. I'm trying to talk my DH into getting a DVD entertainment system in our next vehicle for the kids for these 3-5 hour trips by car. We're never driving to FL again that's for sure. Last fall we flew and it was wonderful. No t.v.s though.
Advertisements
Hi:
There is a TV unit that also plays video tapes. It can go into the car. It has a plug for the lighter. It can also be used in the house as it also has a regular electric plug! It runs around $200 or so.
Now if you were shooting for a new car anyways go for the car!!! LOL!
Have fun!!!
Warm regards,