Advertisements
Advertisements
With the safe haven law, either "parent" can "dump" the child at a 'safe haven"....Sooo what about those "parents" that are certain their young child cannot parent..what would stop them from "getting rid" of the child? what about those that abandon due to panic and then suddenly change their mind ( I have read in some states that have enacted this law there is a few day time restraint that the parent can come back and change their mind) but would CPS or DSS come and step into the picture and terminate those rights anyway?
there are way too many loopholes and uncertainties about this law for it to be set in stone and for those that support it to say without a doubt it's a sure thing. Some states have even stated that it has really changed nothing...If one is in panic, do you really think they are going to have the rational that "oh...wait...where is the safe haven around here for me to dump this child" "hmmm let me get a phone book and check out where the local hospital,police station etc is"
Also from my understanding it can only "legally" be done for up till the child is five days of age...Well what about those that find that they cannot cope say...2 weeks after the fact? 2 months after the fact? BUT cannot go through the shame, the stigma etc of adoption?
Again, too many loopholes and not enough 'help" concerning this law at all...so in my opinion it gets a defiente thumbs down!!
Lisa