Advertisements
Advertisements
We should take a look at what it is as a society that coerces women into abandoning motherhood. Why are these mothers giving up hope that they can parent? What circumstances in their lives have made the thought of motherhood unacceptable?
Adoptive mothers can get very caught up in the moment when it comes to "baby dumping". It's important to step outside of the comfort zone and see the bigger picture.
I am a hopeful adoptive mother. I actively support a woman's right to choose abortion. I believe that reproductive freedom is the cornerstone of women gaining a voice in America. I also believe that as a society we need to reexamine what it is about our society that makes young women feel they are unable to care for their children.
I do not believe that adoption activism and abortion activism are diametrically opposed. I believe that they are both expressions of the reproductive freedoms that women and our society as a whole have benefited from in the last 30 years.
As for the paternity issue, the father of the abandoned infant most likely abandoned his responsibilities long before the mother considered leaving her child.
This law started in TX after a rash of 13 baby abandonments in Houston over the course of 10 months.
Excellent article that explains the pros and cons of the safe haven law is located at:
[url]http://writ.news.findlaw.com/grossman/20011009.html[/url]