Advertisements
Advertisements
This topic sparked a heated debate between my husband and me. He was most alarmed by the law's lack of accountability and the surrender of infants without the father's knowledge. I do believe that lack of involvement and both financial and emotional support from the father is a primary impetus for infant abandonment, however, you are right in that I made a generalization. My nieces birth father is very involved, and requests photos every father's day and sends letters on a regular basis. My niece was also not abandoned, rather, she was placed with an agency and he relinquished his rights accordingly.
When we discuss infant abandonment, it is also important to keep in mind that this is a phenomenon that occurs very infrequently. In 1998, for instance, 105 infants were abandoned in public places in the whole of the US.
As women's rights advance it is in spite of men's rights, not at their expense. Men have had the right to abandon their children since the dawn of time, with no repercussions until the last part of the 20th century. Why is it so controversial to afford women the same liberty?