Advertisements
Advertisements
I am a female, adoptee. I am searching for my birthmother, or any birth relative. I have non identifying info. Even looking for anyone who might have stayed in the maternity home for unwed mothers, shortly before the date I was born, Jan. 17, 1972. Her parents made her go here & all other family members were told she went to visit an aunt, or something like that. My birthmother already had a boy the was a little older than I. Her parents cared for him while she was at the maternity home. They would have lived in Kentucky or Illinois. Maybe, Indiana. The maternity home was in Evansville, where I was also born.
Advertisements
I tried this website and it didn't work...if you have another one I would love to have it, thanks a bunch
Jessamyn
Is this the home that was on Fulton or Fullerton (not sure about the correct name)? When I was there in 1969 it was run by a Dorothy Winters or Wynters. My child was born on July 2or3, 1969. All the babies had the same last name of Christian, to protect the identity. Also, I believe all of the babies were born at St. Marys. I'm not sure if the birth certificates actually used that false last name for all the babies or not. Does anybody know? Thanks
1 Liked
 likes this.
I live in Evansville and the name of the street you are looking for is Fulton Ave. The only unwed mothers home that I ever knew of was next to a place called the Evansville Christian Life Center, located on Kentucky Ave. There are however two buildings on Fulton Ave noe that Are ran by the salvation army and I know for a fact that one of them is laid out like it could have sheltered pregnant women. If you need phone numbers I would be glad to get them for you, just let me know. Good luck with your searches.
Thanks! I have since learned from another website that the home I was in on Fulton is now being used as a crisis shelter by the Salvation Army. They even have a picture of the place! At least from the outside it sure hasn't changed very much.Thanks again.
Advertisements
I was in the Evansville Christian Home in1967.
The administrator's name was Mrs. Hahn. She is now deceased. All the babies have the last name of Christian on the original birth certificate. Also, all the babies were born at St. Mary's hospital.
The home was on W. Fulton Ave.
The Evansville Christian Life Center is not the same home.
I would love to talk to anyone who was in the "horrible" home in 1967.
I located my son, but he is not interested in reunion. Any advise on this?
I was at the home at 1615 Fulton Av. The director in 1969 was Mrs Winters. My son was born at St. Mary's Hospital and as far as I know, all children born to girls from there had Christian listed as their last name. I had registered on this site about 30 yrs ago but just refreshed the info in Dec 2009. D. searched just after his birthday this yr and found me right away. I wish that all searches were that easy even though it took 41 yrs for us both to be ready. I met D this last weekend and we drove past the college I attended, and the address of the home. It has been torn down and a large prefab warehouse stands in it's location. I was not badly treated there and their intentions were good if misguided. It's good to read the stories here on adoption.com and see the good and bad searches. I hope you all find answers to your questions. BT
1 Liked
 likes this.
My father was born at the Evansville Home on 16 Oct 1928 (he died in Nov 1988), the son of Mildred Jeffras.
(Mildred's birth name was Louisa Castiller, the illigitimate daughter of Clarence Castiller and Minnie Gaiser. (All are deceased).
His name was legally changed when he was adopted (I have his adoption papers). He was adopted about three weeks after his birth, and then , his mother, Mildred, went back to living with her step-father & mother.
Does anyone know what happened to the medical records of the Home when it was shut down? I wrote to the State of IN to get his original birth certificate, but they do not have it on record in his birth name.
How do people prove they were born there if there are no accessible records?
Now that I have my first grandchild, I REALLY want to finish compiling my bloodlines. I need the name of my father's biological father. I don't want to suspect every man who lived in Evansville in Jan-Feb of 1928!!
Help!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!
Gloria Jones
This is a face book group for Adoptees and their Families that went through the Evansville Unwed Mother's Home and had their Baby at St Mary's Hospital and gave the Baby up for adoption. Please join and let us help you!
Advertisements
what was the other website?
Thanks! I have since learned from another website that the home I was in on Fulton is now being used as a crisis shelter by the Salvation Army. They even have a picture of the place! At least from the outside it sure hasn't changed very much.Thanks again.
ISO birth mother - Boy born on January 10, 1971 at St. Mary's Hospital looking for mother. I have been told that she resided at the maternity home in Evansville, IN and may have been 16 years old. I'm just starting to search and looking for advice. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you.
1 Liked
 likes this.
ISO birth mother - Boy born on January 10, 1971 at St. Mary's Hospital looking for mother. I have been told that she resided at the maternity home in Evansville, IN and may have been 16 years old. I'm just starting to search and looking for advice. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you.
John,
On or after July 1, 2018 a new law goes into effect and you can apply through the Indiana Adoption Matching Registry (not the Medical History one) and request "identifying information". I don't know exactly what that means compared to how other states have done it, which is to release your original birth certificate. Note there is a chance your birth mother may have requested redaction in the last two years (when the bill was signed by the Gov). Historically the amount to do so has be around 2% or there about - so you have a good chance this way.
You can find information here including a link to the registry you will need to apply to on or after July 1, 2018.
Good luck.
You can
Thank you so much!
John,
On or after July 1, 2018 a new law goes into effect and you can apply through the Indiana Adoption Matching Registry (not the Medical History one) and request "identifying information". I don't know exactly what that means compared to how other states have done it, which is to release your original birth certificate. Note there is a chance your birth mother may have requested redaction in the last two years (when the bill was signed by the Gov). Historically the amount to do so has be around 2% or there about - so you have a good chance this way.
You can find information here including a link to the registry you will need to apply to on or after July 1, 2018.
Good luck.
You can
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
I was at this home in 77 and whenI applied for information didn'tday but original court summons had my sons as babyboyand my Maiden name
Is this the home that was on Fulton or Fullerton (not sure about the correct name)? When I was there in 1969 it was run by a Dorothy Winters or Wynters. My child was born on July 2or3, 1969. All the babies had the same last name of Christian, to protect the identity. Also, I believe all of the babies were born at St. Marys. I'm not sure if the birth certificates actually used that false last name for all the babies or not. Does anybody know? Thanks
I was in Vanderburgh Christian Home in 1976-77. Mrs Winter was the director and a lady named Mrs Davar worked there also. It was a nice place and we were all treated very well. Of course, most of us were very young and homesick. It was a place that we were all accepted during a time when unmarried pregnant girls weren’t highly thought of. I found out that the home closed down a year or so later. I had my son 3/14/77 at St Mary’s Hospital. We eventually were reunited. Both of us had registered on many of the adoption sites and I had completed a form through the State of Indiana to release info should he ever come looking for me. I wish I could say that everything was great, but unfortunately we haven’t spoken for a couple of years due to his drug use, attitude and behavior. He use an “intermediary” to locate me. I wish all you kids the best in your search fir your birth mother. I was 15 when I got pregnant and 16 when I gave birth. I hope that you all can understand how hard it was for all of us that went there. These decisions were made by our parents. We all wanted our kids to have better than we as mere teenagers could provide. Believe me, I looked at every possibility that I could with regard to keeping my child. My only option would have been to go into foster care with a child. Go to school and work at like a McDonalds. That would not have been a very promising life for a baby. So I did want my child to have 2 parents, that were older and financially able to take care of a baby AND a couple that were wanting a baby and were unable to have one on their own. I want to add that I have mat his parents and grandparents and they were really great people. I will always regret not being able to raise my son, but will be forever grateful to his parents forever all they did. I didn’t get to choose where he went, like people do today.
Don’t give up hope.