Advertisements
Advertisements
I think whether it will be "discovered" - it's something you should disclose. The onus is on parents and doctors to be honest in the homestudy preparation process. This is not about *you* becoming a parent, it's about finding appropriate parents for children.
And under the circumstances, I think your social worker should be made aware of the situation from your past. That way they can determine, maybe through a psychological evaluation, or whatever they determine is necessary, whether you are in a position in your life to parent.
I hope that it didn't sound uncaring or unfeeling towards your past - it's not. I'm so sorry for what you went through and I can't imagine how painful that part of your life was. But again, this whole homestudy process is about determining whether a person is ready, or in a position, to parent.
It's not something people who have bio kids have to go through so it can seem unfair how invasive these homestudies are, but they are set up to protect not only children, but you too. :)
Advertisements
Regarding being in a mental institution...that will not cause you to automatically fail your homestudy. DH is bipolar and was institutionalized once after his first and only manic episode. He was not suicidal, but was on the other end of the spectrum (very high strung, not sleeping or eating for several days, severe fascination with God). A year later we were working on our homestudy. I am assuming that you went through therapy/counseling and are taking medication. You need to disclose this information to your agency and social worker. DH had to get statements from his psychiatrist and therapist about his ability to parent and also take an MMPI test, but we passed the homestudy. Good luck to you. You may want to look into domestic adoption. Many countries do not understand what mental illness is and they have some strange requirements regarding medications and therapy. It is unfortunate.
I'm 25 now and the suicide attempt and mental hospital happened when I was 18. I won't be adopting for a few years, when I am more financially stable. My issues have long since been resolved and I am medicated. I have also been on SSI (though I am not now) for mental disabilities related to depression. Will this effect my chances to adopt if I have had a solid job for several years?
I really appreciate all the help you guys have given in answering my questions :). It's nice to have a support base for things like this.
Advertisements
It sounds like you are on the right path. It is not easy finding the right medication combination that works! I really don't think that this is going to hurt you. Just be honest with your agency right upfront (like I said in my earlier post).
Will this effect my chances to adopt if I have had a solid job for several years?
If you are looking to adopt internationally then it will disqualify you from adopting from certain countries. Some countries do not allow people to adopt who have a history of mental illness or who are taking medications for mental illness, including depression. Currently Guatemala does not have those restrictions, but the regulations may change as they overhaul their adoption system and procedures.
Advertisements
Yes, it is true that with medication and treatment for depression, a person can live a very long, happy life. However, it should be noted that international adoption is VERY stressful at times. There are folks that have mentioned that they did not have depression before the process started and they did during it due to the roller coaster ride. JMHO, I am not sure that many agencies do enough education for adoptive parents about the stress, anxiety, wait times, etc and the toll that could take on someone that already has depressive tendancies. I would just make sure that the condition is VERY under control before any adoption is commenced.......
Thanks again for all your help. I'm not doing a homestudy yet, but I've just bee told I can only have children of my own for the next year. I don't feel I am entirely ready (financially) to have children, yet I do not want to miss my chances entirely. Because of this I've needed to look into things that might get rid of my chances, such as failing a homestudy.
Thanks again.