Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi Everyone:
It has been brought to my attention that some of us have read novels that they have enjoyed that included adoption somewhere in the storyline.
Has anyone read a novel like this?
Please tell us some or all of the following:
1. The title and author.
2. Why you did or did not like the book?
3. What you did or did not like about the book?
4. Did the book help you in some way?
5. Would you recommend the book to others for their reading?
Reading can be such a great way to increase our understanding and learning about others and life's circumstances. Please tell us what novels you have been reading.
Thank you very much for taking the time to post!
Advertisements
I've enjoyed the novels of Jacquelyn Mitchard. I've read three; I'm not sure if she has more. The three I've read are called "A Theory Of Relativity", "The Most Wanted", and "The Deep End Of The Ocean". This last one is also a movie starring Michelle Pheiffer, but I haven't seen it yet.
All three novels touch on adoption in some way. Her latest is "A Theory of Relativity", which centers around adoptees' rights. The story is about an adoptive family with two grown children, a son and a daughter, who are not biological siblings. The daughter and her husband die in an accident, leaving behind a two-year-old child. The dead woman's adoptive brother wants custody of his niece. The baby's paternal grandparents also want custody. A legal battle ensues. The fact that the grandparents are biologically related to the child, while the uncle is not (although he helped raise the child from birth) becomes an issue. He has to take his case all the way to the state supreme court in order to get legislators to change the wording of the law and recognize his kinship bond with the child (the laws in his state specify that the relationship must be "by blood or marriage"). I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but "A Theory Of Relativity" is an engaging novel full of surprises and plot twists. It has given me some insight into what it might be like to be an adoptee, and it is an excellent (in my opinion) portrayal of the love of an adoptive family and the struggles they face, and their ultimate triumph against a legal system that is still sometimes uninformed when it comes to adoption issues.
Two thumbs up! ;)
~ Sharon
PS Thanks for starting this thread, Sabra.
A novel by John Irving (author of "The World According to Garp").
An interesting, complex, and rather bizarre story about orphans/ orphanages/ adoption/ abortion.
I believe they recently made a movie of it.
Anybody else read it?
~ Shar
Yes Sharon, I have read this novel also.
I found it hard to put down once I started to read it - the story was a bit of an eye opener on how society may have been, all those years ago ( Glad the medical profession have changed their methods too!! ) Yep, parts of it were rather bizarre.
I haven't seen the movie although I understand it was worth seeing - think it was released a few years ago.
Lindsay
The best literature with adoption themes I have come across is in the intermediate and young adults section.
Anything by Sharon Creech. She is an amazing writer and does an excellent job in all the adoption themes she touches on.
I See the Moon by C. B. Christiansen - A story written from a 13 year old girl who's sister is planning on placing her child for adoption.
I am in the early stages of writing a review of adoption books in fiction for Adoptive Families. i'll post when it comes out. (Can I do that???)
Advertisements
Firstborn by Robin Lee Hatcher
I did enjoy the book mainly because of the Christian spin on the adoption story. The main character, who later in her life found God, put her daughter up for adoption in 1981 without ever telling the father who happened to be her current husband's best friend. While truly a novel with its own spin on the adoption process, it really is a heartwarming story with a happy ending... which we could all use now and again.
Some people will not like the book simply due to the consistent religious referrences. (Most of the characters are usually offering some sort of prayer for guidance.) Due to my beliefs, this did not bother me but I could see how it would turn certain readers off to the story.
I surely recommend this book to anyone who wouldn't be offended by Christian referrences, especially those in a closed adoption beginning in the 80s.
Or simply for anyone wanting a good read. Took me less than 24 hours. :D
the dating game by danielle steel
it's not really a book about adoption, however the main character ends up adopting after she and her husband end up divorcing. they already had grown children.
the book was ok however i didn't enjoy the adoption storyline.
i felt as though the character adopted becuase she was lonely and needed new meaning in her life. (not a good reason)
the author also made it seem like it was very easy to adopt an infant in the us - the character went on an interview and got a baby immediately!
i wouldn't recommend this book if you are looking for true adoption experiences - only if you are looking for a typical danielle steel love story novel.
louise
Hello ladies.
If you get a chance,check out my profile page and click on homepage to review a book I just recently had published.
The book is a children's book concerning the topic of adoption.
I adopted both of my daughters from birth,and was inspired to write the book,following several questions from my oldest daughter,Chelsea.
Let me know what you think of the book.The website gives a description of the book,shows a picture,and an excerpt from the book.
Thanks for taking time to check out my profile.I would love any feedback.
Stacie Cahill
Advertisements
Following years of infertifility and 3 unsuccessful IVF's, my husband and I were desperate to start our family. We located an adoption attorney and placed an ad for a birthmother. The resulting journey was unforgettable and the basis for my novel, Chasing Her Destiny. It was published and has gotten great reviews for its writing and the truth about the emotional impact of the adoption process.
Hello to you. Here is a memoir about a teenage girl who was adopted. It deals with her feelings towards her adoptive parents, her being insecure and overanxious. It reads like a compelling psychological thriller.
[url=http://www.amazon.com/Stinging-Emotion-Hyacinthe-Huntly-ebook/dp/B00M25ADIA/ref=sr_1_8?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1408831250&sr=1-8&keywords=HUNTLY]Amazon.com: Stinging Emotion eBook: Hyacinthe Huntly: Kindle Store[/url]
There's a new-ish book out called The Orphan Keeper by Camron Wright. It's a novel based on the true story of a 7-year-old boy who was kidnapped from his home in India. Similar, but of course, different from the new movie LION - also a true story. This boy was sold and then adopted, growing up knowing he had another family. He eventually finds them through many miracles. I'm just starting the book, but have read synopses of it and reviews - people like it. After all, what's not to like about a heartwarming true story that also includes a lot of drama?!