Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Language delay
My son was diagnosed with receptive/expressive language disorder several months after adoption at age 10. At the time he was in 4th grade, reading at a 1st grade level. He is now 12, reading at 5th grade level. A neurologist recommended a fantastic speech/language therapist to us, she worked with him 2x per week initially and since school started this year we've cut back to 1x per week. The difference is phenominal. I would suggest starting with your local children's hospital, see if they have any kind of learning support clinic or even ADD clinic...those professionals may be able to recomend good speech therapists. A basic speech therapist who is going to work on pronouncing sounds, etc, will not help, but the right person can solve the problem completely. Interestingly, my son's therapist started by teaching him cursive, and provided me with an article that explained how cursive helps them to understand how to separate words and the importance of letter size. I wasn't to sure at first, but I'm a believer now! Good luck.