Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Language delay
I left out talk with and to her. Talk about anything and everything - and no baby talk. Talk about what you see while driving down the road and in the aisles of the store. Go for walks in the park or woods and encourage her to ask questions ans ask her questions about what you see. Talk to her about what you're doing at home. Describe what you are doing step by step as you cook and clean and play and encourage her to tell you about what she is doing too. Play the games one would play with a baby and toddler about naming body parts and pieces of clothing and items in the bathroom and kitchen and animals. We had a nice set of parent and baby animal cards to play "concentration", a matching and memory game with - play it with her. Cut pictures out of magazines and catalogs (a good use for junk mail) and use them for matching games (bread with a toaster, beans with a saucepan, eggs with a skillet, shampoo with a head of hair, nail clippers with a hand, vacuum with carpet, etc) Let her make a scrapbook and paste pictures of similar things together on pages. Or just let her pick out whatever pictures she likes and then talk with her about her choices. This can be a lot of fun as it never ceases to amaze and delight me to see what kinds of pictures a young child will chose, given free rein.
All this helps her learn about the world around her and build a vocabulary to talk about it and get practice in putting sentences together and gain confidence in her language skills.
I read a post about someone who adopted teens who did not know how to operate a microwave or answer a ringing phone. Sadly, many of these kids come to us from environments where they have not been exposed to normal , daily activities and so have no experience with them and no vocabulary to describe or even ask about them. Often the adults in their lives simply ignored them. More than I care to think about were locked away to be out of sight and out of mind and "less trouble".
Good luck.