Advertisements
Advertisements
I am in Or. I was told the state pays for their exspenses
leelee90 -
In OR you currently get $399/mo for ages 0 - 5. It goes up for children over 5, but I'm not sure what the rates are. They are supposed to change as of April 2009. I don't know exactly what the new rates will be.
If your fc is 5 or under they automatically qualify for WIC. Just show your placement paper that you receive when a child is brought to your home.
They will also get OHP. If you adopt from fc they generally will qualify for OHP to continue until they are 18.
If the child is just coming into care, or is a newborn being released from the hospital you most generally will receive a clothing voucher.
The state does not pay for childcare. It may again at some point in the future, but doesn't at this time.
You will pay for diapers, food, clothing (other than initial voucher).
Advertisements
Pros and Cons
Pros: helping these precious children have the life they deserve. we only take infants, but to see them smile at you melts your heart. I truly love doing it.
HOWEVER:
the cons: having little or no say with the kids situations. Most of the time decisions are made that are not in the childs best interest. Have to give a child back to a bad situation. The waiting to know what the future will hold for you and the child. The in consistency in what one social worker tells you and another worker tells you. Dont believe a child is adoptable until you sign those final papers. Most of the time you are treated like a servent to these Bio's, you take the children to visits when it is convent for them, not you. A lot is expected of the foster parents, yet not much respect is given.
It is a wonderful experience, but be prepared for the roller coaster of your life, the ups and downs are hard, the emotions and stress is hard. It is not for everyone, people tell me all the time, I dont know how you do it, I admire you. But to me, I think to myself why do they say that, I dont feel as tho I am any better then anyone else, this is my calling I love what I do. Somedays tho I want to call it quits. Only cause my emotions take over and I feel like I cant give back another child.