Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
We get $26 and change a day for each of our kids. I don't know if the rate changes for older kids, though.
The difference in counties probably has something to do with the number of calls they have. I live in a rural county and have never had a call from them. Surrounding counties, which are by no means urban, have larger cities and therefore a higher population. With that comes a higher rate of kids in care. They may also be running all day classes to get you through your training sooner. The 30 hours are clock hours, so it can be done in 5 days.
Pros to foster care: KIDS. You get to help. You get to love them. They love you back. Your life is busy. KIDS.
Cons: your life is busy. Lots of state types are coming in and out of your house regularly. There are multiple hoops to jump through every day. Court dates. Allegations and investigations. Your time is not your own any longer.
I see that my list of cons is longer than the pros. So what. My pros start and end with kids. That trumps everything in my book.
It is not a rosy, romantic venture. It can be physically and emotionally exhausting. Sometimes you do everything right and it all goes wrong. Sometimes the kids never get over hating you. Sometimes a child you deeply love is returned to a situation you cannot understand. Often you're dealing with confused, angry, hurt little folks who have no concept of love and safety.
But then sometimes, the kids start to get a clue. You see them gain weight and grow and play. You're the one they seek out when they are tired or don't feel well. You get to watch first steps and hear first words, and wipe away tears from owies. And sometimes they stay.
Oh, yeah. Pros win.