Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I guess it depends on the offense and how long ago. I would never feel comfortable giving my child to someone with a DWI arrest or conviction no matter how long ago. I'm a little picky there.
But then, I had a friend arrested and convicted for indecent exposure. I assume that would show up as a sexual offense. He was streaking in the 70's. I would hope something like that would not prevent him from adopting. I have a friend with a drug arrest who was at a party when a raid happened. Everyone at the party was arrested whether or not they even knew that the drugs were present. Most of them pleaded guilty as youthful offenders and were told the records would be expunged. Should that stop him from adopting? Should records like these be expunged?
I'm sure there are false assualt charges filed against some people. I'm sure there are things people do as teenagers they wish they could undo.
I would hope that any arrest would be mentioned and dealt with in the homestudy. I would hope that any expecting mother would be given a chance to see that homestudy. In the case of a closed or semi-open adoption where the identity needs to be left out, leave out the identifying information. But give the expecting mother the chance to decide for herself whether or not she wants a person with a conviction raising her child. Let her know what the arrest is and the explaination behind it and give her the choice of whether or not to let that person raise her child.
Peggy