Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
After having a day to consider this (I really was shocked to smithereens last night when I read that thread, so I may have gone overboard in my reaction to it...I can be a little naive at times) and reading over your responses, I've come to this conclusion: I think people with non-violent crimes (excluding DWI, which I personally consider a crime of violence, since it shows a reckless disregard for human life) SHOULD be allowed to adopt, have their records expunged after a period of time, or whatever. A non-violent crime should not haunt people for the rest of their lives. However, I think someone with a violent criminal history should NOT be able to adopt...ever. That's it. Everyone makes mistakes, but not everyone ends up with felony convictions. Assault and battery is not a mistake, it's not just "getting a little wild and crazy at a party". I believe a person convicted of a charge like this deserves a second chance... but not a chance to raise someone else's child. If a teacher in my state was arrested for this, he or she would never get a "second chance" to teach again. He or she would have to find something else to do, which did not include being entrusted with the children of others. Again, I'm sorry if I offend anyone by sounding harsh or judgemental. I'm certainly no saint myself, and I understand about people "getting a little wild", but mischief and wildness do not result in felonies; they result in misdemeanors, which I don't think should be held against anyone. When an expecting mother selects an adoptive couple to raise her child, she should be able to TAKE FOR GRANTED that they are law-abiding citizens. Now that I know that's not always the case...I agree with Peggy. The birthmother should be allowed to know about any arrests. Then she can decide for herself whether they matter or not. _ Sharon