Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Hi Sharon. I'm 90% sure in Michigan you can't adopt with a felony conviction. I might be wrong though, Lord knows that happens a lot, lol. I want to say that my husband has a record. He was arrested when he was 18 for arguing with a police officer that was arresting his friend. He wasn't even in trouble till he wouldn't quit arguing. It was a misdemeanor, he served three months in jail, and I'm eternily grateful that this did not stop us from adopting. My husband is not the person he was back then and I don't feel he should have been punished for something that happened when he was a kid. What they had him do was write a letter on exactly what happened, and what he learned from it. I can see how a felony charge would freak you out. What I know (and it's not much) about Michigan is that you can't have a sexual abuse or any conviction against a child. I'm pretty sure you can't have a felony charge, but I'm not positive on that one. Anyway, as a bmom I can see how it would cause concern, wondering if your child was placed with someone with a conviction on their record.