Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Scott,
I found your list quite interesting.
Just last June, 03, I went to KC to seek out the location of what once was St. Vincent's Hospital ( where I was born) and St. Anthony's Home for Infants. The gals there were most helpful and sent me a history of the location. I posted the lengthy history on another thread under MO.
That said, the building that once was St. Vincent's Hopspital is now gone and is a parking lot. The area along the fence where St. Anthony's Home for Infants was is a lovely greenelt. The only building still standing is the brick building which house the mothers.
The address of St.Vincet's/St. Anthony's is 3201 E. 23rd St in KC. Howevwer, should anyone want to go see the place the address is 3220 E. 23rd St. It encompasses the whole block. Also you should know that the area which was once a lovely neighborhood is now quite rundown and if you go there it is safe enough during daylight hours but the ladies in the facility there told me it is a crack neighborhood and to be out by sundown.
The grounds are now called Benilde Hall. It is an outpatient, counsellling cacility for drug/alcohol rehab folks and a transitional living area. If anyone would care for a copy of the history of St. Anthony's the no. to call is (816) 842-5836. My search has not provided much except non id information, so to see the place where I was born was meaningful. I was told that now and then they get people who were born there to come and just want to see the place.Good luck.