Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I live in Kansas City and am a nurse at one of the area hospitals. I am helping a friend of mine that was born at one of the homes for unwed mothers, therefore had been inquiring to some friends as to what happened to the old homes. The Willows is rumored that they took the records out back and burned them when the home closed, however I have also heard another rumor that when the owner died, her daughter took possession of the records and has yet to release them to anyone. There was also The Fairmount Maternity on 21st Street and Montgall Avenue and then the Fairmount at 625 Arlington Avenue. The Florence Crittenton Home and St. Anthony's were names of two others. Sometimes mothers would need their children born at a hospital for various reasons, in which case they were transported from the homes for unwed mothers to the Old General Hospital which is now Truman Medical Center. In that case, most times hospitals store those records on microfilm/fiche and in Kansas City, those records would be stored in what is known as the "caves" (a storage unit area underground). If you write the hospital, sometimes they can provide you with the information. Call the medical records department. It would be Truman Medical Center West, since there is also a TMC East in the area. General Hospital used to be on 24th and Cherry. So, if you look on your birth certificate under your adoptive name and it lists this, you know you made a trip to old General Hospital. This hospital closed in 1976 with the opening of Truman Medical Center.
Hope this helps somebody make their way past a dead end.
Martha