Advertisements
Advertisements
We treat it like a car trip; make sure the kids have lots of things to keep them amused (toys, books, etc; we have a backpack we call the "bag of tricks" specifically for traveling and restaurants)
Depending on the age of your children, bring along a bottle, pacifier, chewy fruit snacks and/or gum so they can "pop" their ears a little less painlessly; make sure, however, that you don't dole out all the treats until you're making that final run up the runway to take off, or you may run out too soon!
INSIST on a potty break (or diaper change!) before boarding!
And relax; if you're calm and treat it like a huge game, your kids will be, too. If you're stressed....they'll be the screaming kids everyone tells their families about. ;)
Have a great trip!
Advertisements
Also you may wish to add one new "surprise" toy to that "bag of tricks" to avoid the same old, same old...
We just took our 9month at the time now he is 10months old to Cancun and he did great on the plane I think we were more stressed out then he was. We took food, toys, and bottle and just "hung out" on the plane. From where we live we had a 3hr plane ride then a layover and then a 4 1/2 hour plane ride. We also had him take a nap on the plane which helped out a lot!
Good luck and I am sure all will be fine. and remember to have fun!!!
Definatly give some motion sickness med or have one of the braceltes on before you go.
I agree with the rest - lots of activites and snacks. If I can keep giving my kids food, they'll hang in there much better! LOL
Cards, books, anything small that you can pack and a variety of activities is good.
We took our son on a plane when he was 9 months and was just getting over an ear infection. BIG MISTAKE! He was miserable, got sick again at our desitnation and was sick on the way home - I guess the altitude messed with the fluid in his ear and the infection flared up again.
Try to get a row where you can spread out a bit. We are 4 flying together now and ask for 2 rows and in each we get the isle and the window - leaving the mddle seat empty. It will only be filled if the plane is really full. THEN, the person there will GLADLY switch with one of you. Who wants to be between the mom and the kid??? :eek: But, if the plane is not full, you;ll have an extra seat.
Good luck!
I forgot to add, if the kids are of gum chewing age, be sure to buy some BEFORE you get to the airport. Many airports don't sell it any more.
Advertisements
Two words - Magna Doodle. LOL If the child is old enough to hold a pen & scribble they will love it. I bought 4 of the small travel size ones before we flew to Florida this pas summer with 2 4 year olds & 2 1 year olds & without them we would have never made it. They all played with them A LOT!!! Also a backpack or bag with snacks & NEW (or never been seen) toys works well & yes if they are old enough to chew gum make sure they have some for the flight. Our kids did great on the plane! Another option if you can afford it is to sit in first class - it gives you a lot more room, especially if you are holding an infant. HAVE FUN!
NEWBY QUESTION-How do I get my ds who will be appr 7 weeks old at Thanksgiving from long term parking to the terminal? Do I need to use a car seat, can they be installed on the shuttle buses? Should I try to get a neighbor to drop us off and pick us up? I bought the plane ticket before I became a mom so I did not plan for any of this!! Help!