One of the big concerns when thinking about international adoption is immigration. Getting a visa for your child can be confusing. It is required that you get a passport from the country your child is from, then receive a U.S. Visa. You create a packet with the passport and visa in order to be able to exit the country with your child. Depending on the country you are bringing the child from, you may get an immediate certificate of citizenship, or you may get a green card.

In this video our panel discusses the exit process when adopting internationally. Paperwork is required and statements are usually sworn to by the adoptive parents, stating that you will adequately care for your child.

Each country has specific guidelines, and it is valuable to discuss with others who have had experience adopting from the country in order to get a clear picture of what to expect.