Adopting from Burkina Faso

The official flag.



A village water pump.


Typical street scene in Ouagadougou.

A large family.

Notice: As of July 14, 2014, all individuals and agencies facilitating international adoptions must be in compliance with the Intercountry Universal Accreditation Act.

The information contained on this website is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice. Always seek the advice of a licensed and qualified professional. While the content of this website is frequently updated, information changes rapidly and therefore, some information may be out of date, and/or contain inaccuracies, omissions or typographical errors.

About Burkina Faso

Burkina Faso (formerly Upper Volta) achieved independence from France in 1960. Repeated military coups during the 1970s and 1980s were followed by multiparty elections in the early 1990s. To learn more, read About Burkina Faso.

Hague Convention Information

Burkina Faso is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Hague countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of Burkina Faso. To learn more, read about Burkina Faso and the Hague Convention.

Who Can Adopt

There are many requirements to adopt from Burkina Faso. To learn more, read about Who Can Adopt from Burkina Faso.

Who Can Be Adopted

Because Burkina Faso is party to The Hague Adoption Convention, children from Burkina Faso must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption. For example, the adoption may take place only if the competent authorities of Burkina Faso have determined that placement of the child within Burkina Faso has been given due consideration and that an intercountry adoption is in the child’s best interests. In addition to Burkina Faso’s requirements, a child must meet the definition of Convention adoptee to be eligible for an immigrant visa that will allow you to bring him or her to the United States. To learn more, read about Who Can Be Adopted from Burkina Faso.

How to Adopt

WARNING: Burkina Faso is party to the Hague Adoption Convention. Do not adopt or obtain legal custody of a child in Burkina Faso before a U.S. consular officer issues an “Article 5 Letter” in the case. To learn more, read about How to Adopt from Burkina Faso.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

U.S. citizens are required by law to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports. Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place. Learn more about Traveling Abroad in Burkina Faso.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Burkina Faso

Avenue Sembene Ousmane Secteur 15, Ouaga 2000 01 BP 35, Ouagadougou 01 Tel: [226] 50-49-53-00 Fax: [226] 50-49-56-23 Email: Internet: U.S. Embassy in Burkina Faso

Burkina Faso Adoption Authority

Ministère de l'Action Sociale et de la Solidarité Nationale La Direction des Placements et des Adoptions Immeuble Baoghin, Secteur 10 01 BP 515, Ouagadougou 01 Burkina Faso Tel: [226] 50 30 68 80 (Switchboard)/ [226] 50 31 00 55 (Direct line) Fax: [226] 50 31 67 37

Embassy of Burkina Faso

2340 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20008 Tel: (202) 332-5577 Fax: (202) 667 1882 Email: Internet: Embassy of Burkina Faso

Office of Children’s Issues

U.S. Department of State CA/OCS/CI SA-17, 9th Floor Washington, DC 20522-1709 Tel: 1-888-407-4747 E-mail: Internet: U.S. Department of State

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

For questions about immigration procedures: National Customer Service Center (NCSC) Tel: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833) Internet: USCIS

For questions about filing a Form I-800A or I-800 petition: National Benefits Center Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local) Email:


Intercountry Adoption, Bureau of Consular Affairs. U.S. Department of State Country Information