Advertisements
Advertisements
Is anyone currently using European Adoption Consultants for their adoption? We are 90 percent sure that we are going with them and have even filled out the paperwork. They are having a seminar in my area on Saturday and we are going to attend and if all is well send in our papers. I am wondering what kind of time frame to expect from start to finish. We are looking to adopt a baby boy around 6 months old.
I would strongly suggest that you do attend the seminar. I'm sure you will leave with a very positive feeling about the agency.
My husband and I are just starting the paperwork process and we will definitely be using EAC. We went to a seminar this past weekend and left feeling even better about our decision to use EAC. Hopefully, they will have several families that have recently adopted through EAC at the seminar you're attending.
There were 3 families that shared there stories with us at the seminar. One family had just returned from Guatemala with their 4.5 month old daughter Alexandra. They received their referral in September and brought her home on January 4.
They go over each country program and it was very informative. There are some other interesting things that they will tell you about their Guatemalan program that will probably ease your mind.
If you want any more info from me, just PM me.
Consti
Advertisements
Seminars are definitely a great way to learn things about an agency and if you can attend one, do.
Maybe I am too pessimistic, but remember the seminar is designed to make you feel great about the agency. It's a good idea to still perform some of your own independent research about the agency, families who have used them that are not on their reference list, who they use in Guat, etc., before signing.
Tina
waiting for Alexandra, born 11/18/02
finally in PGN 12/17/03
I had planned on going to the Columbus seminar but I have heard a couple of bad comments about that agency. In addition, I researched them on the Better Business Bureau web site and found they had 3 complaints against them in the last 3 years. I think it's better to find an agency that has a clean record. You might still want to go to the seminar. It's free and you can get information about Guatemalan adoption in general, yet still decide to use another agency.
I've heard good things about HAPS and Madison Adoption Associates.
Good luck!
Just so you know, although I didn't mention it in my previous post, I did do my own independent research on this agency before attending the seminar. I received five positive responses and no negative ones.
Consti
Cleveland magazine did an article on EAC that ended up on the AdoptionGuide.com website. You can read it below:
[url]http://www.theadoptionguide.com/complaints/EAC.html[/url]
Admittedly, this is about a Russian adoption, but to me it provides evidence that in the past this agency has not been ethical.
Just my opinion,
Advertisements
I still check the FRUA board every now and again and recently there have been several threads about this agency;however, they were mostly in reference to their Russia program BUT some of the posts indicated problems in the agency overall. I would just make sure to get lots of references form people who are currently using them.
Thank you all so much! I checked them out on the better business website and it said that there were NO complaints against them in the past 3 years. I will definately take everyones advice and go to the seminar. If there is anyone out there who has used them I would LOVE to hear from you. Thanks to everyone who sent replies. Working together is what this site is all about!
Neenasee--
If you go to the Better Business Bureau web site, 2 listings come up for European Adoption Consultants. One is their main office and one is for a satellite office. The satellite office has 0 complaints. However, their main office had 3 complaints in the last 3 years. I would look into them further before signing on with them.
Good luck.
Wow. I didn't realize there were two listings for them on the BBB website. How sneaky! I will definately do my research. Thanks!
Advertisements
[url]http://www.adoptionnews.org/cases.html[/url]
Thought you might want to check this out in relation to this agency.
Good Luck.
Regardless of what agency you use, there should still be a lot of questions asked.
When you go to the presentation, ask those people in front of everyone these questions:
1. How fast did the EAC staff respond when you had a question or concern?
2. (And this is a very different question)- how fast do the Guatemalan contacts respond to questions or concerns?
3. How long term is their relationship with their current attorney in Guatemala? (This is not asking them how long they have been doing Guatemalan adoption).
4. How long have they been doing Guatemalan adoption?
5. How many cases did you process last year for GUatemala? How many of those families can we talk to?
Then get real specific. Ask these:
1. How long is average for your cases to be in family court?
2. How long is average for your cases to be in pgn?
3. How long is average for your cases to get re-submitted to pgn after more or new documents are requested?
4. How long are your pink slip processes taking lately?
5. How long will we wait for referral?
There are literally tons of agencies out there, and you do not need to settle for an agency that answers
any of these questions in a way you are uncomfortable with.
Good luck!
I heard some negative things - even had a conversation with a woman (neurologist) at the grocery story who was there with her daughter, who she adopted from China. She went to one of the seminars and didn't think the children there looked "well," even though EAC said they were completely healthy. I (personally) find them too "marketing/sales" focused. Plus I don't believe their Guatemalan program is has been around for very long.
I'm still a big fan of World Child, and glad we went through them.
Good luck!
You are right to do your homework!
My husband and I used EAC nine years ago, and before we signed a contract with them we contacted as many parents as we could concerning the agency. Now post-adoption we can't say enough wonderful things about them! We adopted out of China (my daughter is now 9), and had Zhou (Joe) accompany the group every step throughout China. We had glitches which Joe quickly rectified while in-country, and of course he was always there to interpret. I happened upon this Adoption.com site by accident looking for the annual EAC picnic held at the Cleveland Zoo this coming May 25th (2013). If you attend you will have access to the recommendations of over 1,000 parents. Traditionally the agency has had an adoption talk in the a.m. Carla, our EAC social worker, still remembers us and makes a point to speak to us every EAC picnic. We were not just a case number; they knew us personally and helped with every step.
Best to you as you make this wonderful adoption journey!
Advertisements
EAC has been debarred by the US Dept of State for three years due to a pattern of negligence, noncompliance and willful neglect to follow the regulations. You can read the notice here:
EAC has stranded dozens of parents who are in country, and encouraged people to travel with piles of cash when they knew they were under investigation for over a year. This is what happens when an agency "goes bad". They were big and had a long history of success, but the EAC of a decade ago is not the EAC of today.