Advertisements
Advertisements
I found this poem a little while ago. It has been hanging on my wall and I wanted to share it. I don't know if it has already been posted, but I thought that adoptees, aparents, and bparents could all fine the beauty in it. The author is unknown.
"Legacy of an Adopted Child"
Once there were two women
Who never knew each other
One you do not remember
The other you call Mother.
Two different lives.
Shaped to make your one.
One became your guiding star
The other became your sun.
The first one gave you life
And the second taught you to live it
The first gave you a need for love
The second was there to give it.
One gave you a nationality,
The other gave you a name
One gave you a talent
The other gave you an aim.
One gave you emotions,
The other calmed your fears.
One saw your first sweet smile
The other dried your tears.
One sought for you a home - That she could not provide.
The other prayed for a child - And her hopes were not denied.
And now you ask me,
Through your tears
The age-old question,
Unanswered through the years.
Heredity or environment
Which are you the product of?
Neither my darling, neither
Just two different kinds of love.
I pray that this will touch other hearts as well as it has mine. :)
I have seen this poem before!!! As a matter of fact my bdaughters amom shared it with me the first time.....I LOVE it!!!! Thanks for sharing it again!!!!! I could hear it over and over, because it is SO true!!! Staci :D
Advertisements
my mother adoptive mother gave me this poem in a frame when
i turned 21 and to this day when i read it i still cry and it means so much to me i just wanted to say thank u for posting the poem on here. i started to then i saw this. again to all who read this it has so much meaning to it and it touched me deeply.:)
My adopted mother gave me this poem in a plain brown frame when I was younger. I guess that she had it for quite awhile because I recall seeing years before I was able to actually read it. I now have it in my house for my children to read. They ask me about my adoption and so on. It is a blessing in disguise. About the author.. he/she is unknown. Maybe that is the beauty of it all. Without an author, we can believe that it is written personally for us all.
I bought this poem for myself when I was a teenager. Years later I was working as a teacher's aide and hoping for a full time job when an interesting thing happened. I was not selected for the job I wanted after interviewing with two teachers. the follwoing year I ended up reluctantly returning to the school, only to discover that I would have to work under one of the teachers who did not select me for the position I had so badly wanted. One day I saw her crying and asked her what had happened. As iot turned out she had adopted a child and was having a very hard time with her beloved adopted daughter who was now a teenager. It was very healing to speak with her. I learned a lot. I brought the poem in and gave it to her to give to her daughter. This was a fleeting moment in my life. the following year I got a job somewhere else and moved on. But I will never forget how this woman and what she was dealing with gave new insight into my own pain.
a
Thanks Mandy's Mom that's a great poem it's really touched me (lump in throat) I'm going to print it out and give it to my Mum and my Birth mum :)
Advertisements