Advertisements
Advertisements
Hot off the presses:
Catholic Charities To Halt Adoption Services In MA
(AP) BOSTON
The Boston Archdiocese's Catholic Charities said Friday it would stop providing adoption services because state law requires them to consider gays and lesbians as parents.
The social services arm of the Roman Catholic archdiocese has provided adoption services for the state for about two decades, and said it would discontinue once it completes its contract with the state. But it says state law allowing gays to adopt runs counter to church teachers on homosexuality.
"The world was very different when Charities began this ministry at the threshold of the twentieth-century," the Rev. J. Bryan Hehir, president of Catholic Charities, and trustees chairman Jeffrey Kaneb said in a joint statement. "The world changed often and we adapted the ministry to meet changing times and needs. At all times we sought to place the welfare of children at the heart of our work.
"But now, we have encountered a dilemma we cannot resolve," they said.
The state's four Catholic bishops said earlier this month that the law threatens the church's religious freedom by forcing it to do something it considers immoral.
Eight members of Catholic Charities board later stepped down in protest of the bishops' stance. The 42-member board had voted unanimously in December to continue considering gay households for adoptions.
Catholic Charities has been involved in adoptions for about a century, but has had a contract with the state for the past two decades. Its contract with the state expires June 30.
In the past two decades, Catholic Charities has placed 720 children in adoptive homes. Of those 720 children, 13 were placed with same-sex couples, Catholic Charities said.
"We recognize the complexity of the issue, and we are aware of the debates which have swirled around it, Hehir and Kaneb said in the statement. "As an agency, however, we simply must recognize that we cannot continue in this ministry."
In a 2003 document, the Vatican said gay adoption was "gravely immoral," and that children placed in such home "would be deprived of the experience of either fatherhood or motherhood."
Some 682 foster children are waiting for adoption in Massachusetts, according to the state Department of Social Services. The bulk of adoptive children are placed by DSS, rather than outside agencies such as Catholic Charities, the agency said.
2006 The Associated Press.
well, im not going to get into it as i did on the other thread....lol.
i will just say how 'wrong' this is, and how can they even call themselves christians. shame shame is what i say.
allowing children to live in foster homes because of their sinful judgments.
very very sad.
Advertisements
I agree with you wholeheartedly, dad. To disallow kids an opportunity for a warm and loving home because of bigotry is wrong, wrong, wrong. Gratefully, there are many other agencies in Mass whose policies are inclusive.
Opus
I agree with you wholeheartedly, dad. To disallow kids an opportunity for a warm and loving home because of bigotry is wrong, wrong, wrong. Gratefully, there are many other agencies in Mass whose policies are inclusive.
The kids will be adopted through other agencies. The Boston Archdiocese is required to accept, follow and promote the teachings of the Vatican. Since the Vatican's position is in conflict with MA State law, what other option did they have.
For the record I am an atheist.