Advertisements
Advertisements
I know this can have many, many variables, but I'm just wondering how long it took some of you to finalize your adoptions from Florida (baby born in Florida). I have seen some stories about finalization taking a REALLY long time, so I'm just looking for anecdotal info about this state particularly.
Thanks,
Our daughter's adoption through an attorney in Florida went like this: We had a termination of parental rights hearing at 30 days and finalized at 90 days (may have been like 94 days). We had to have 2 post placement visits- one before 30 days and one before 60 days.
Advertisements
We had much the same - mom signed surrender papers at the hospital, then TPR at 30 days, 2 post placement visits 1 month apart, then finalize. P was born the end of Sept and we finalized in December.
Thanks for the responses. I've heard that some states are pretty far behind on getting the court dates set and such. Sounds like Florida is not necessarily one of them.
Six months.........surrender at hospital, 30 days TPR, 3 post placement visits each 30 days apart and then finalization. Darling daughter was born in July and finalized in Jan.
Advertisements
We've had two babies born in FL. We traveled back home with our baby for the 'first one'. Baby was born early December; finalized in August. The next baby---we stayed in FL to finalize. Baby was born February, we finalized early June. (A bit over 90 days. Two post placements in that time frame.)
The first was an agency placement; the second was placed through an attorney. I'd adopt from Florida in a heartbeat.
Sincerely,
Linny
We adopted in FL too...see my signature for the timeline. It was really fast or seemed so anyway. We did private adoption atty. It went great!
Good luck!
Blessings, Michelle
We adopted from FL too. TPR was signed 48 hours after birth and we finalized after 90 days -- by telephone :prop:
We adopted our second child in Florida and are about to finalize. We got told we have to go back to Florida but I thought you can finalize via phone? Any ideas?
Advertisements
Nixe....
Who told you you'd have to go back to FL to finalize? I've never heard of that.....and FL is one of the better states to adopt in.....'over the phone' being one of them.
What reasoning did your attorney/agency give you?
Sincerely,
Linny
When we adopted in 09, there were 2 counties that wouldn't allow over the phone finalization. The county we adopted in (Pinellas Co, near Tampa) was one of them.
We adopted in Pinella, too. But before we said yes to the match they told us we could finalize over the phone and now it is a no.
However, they said we may finalize via videoconference, so we have to get a court reporting service with videoconferencing. Better than driving 13 hours...