Advertisements
Advertisements
If DD qualifies for medicaid through SSI, can we keep her on DH's work health insurance? our pedi does not take medicaid and we do not want to switch drs, but we do need the medicaid for her AFOs and hearing aids.
i'm not sure about your specific situation with the ssi....but i have multiple kids with medicaid AND private insurance bc they were adopted from foster care and it was part of their aap package...and it doesn't seem THAT uncommon for kids to have both. i don't use it for their primary dr anymore either for the same reason...the dr i want doesn't take the medicaid...but it sure comes in handy at the dentist bc he takes both. :)
Advertisements
My daughter has both also. We use her Medicaid primarily to pay the copay of her prescriptions. Our dentist, her doctors and her therapist do not take Medicaid.
As a nurse I see a LOT of patients who have both- if there is a private insurance medicaid is always the secondary payor, meaning that all of your services have to bill your private insurance first, but often whatever they don't pay medicaid will. For things like AFOs or durable medical equipment (DME) often private insurance companies will pay a percentage (50-80% depending on your plan) and if you have medicaid and it is a medicaid approved device and supplier medicaid will pay the rest.
While I had insurance (currently unemployed) My dd had both. I listed the private insurance as primary, and the other as secondary. It is actually good to keep it as a secondary, since it is easier to change it back to primary later, like I had to .