Advertisements
Advertisements
We are finishing up our homestudy -- safety inspection is next week and then we'll be done! So once your home study was submitted, how long did it take for you to get your license?
I'm hoping the rest of this process will go quickly for us. We have been dragging our feet b/c of home repairs we needed to have done before the inspection but our licensing worker has been on top of everything. And she said it could take weeks/months to get the inspection scheduled b/c there is only one inspector for the entire southern part of the state (so multiple counties) but we got it scheduled within a week. I'm hoping everything else goes as quickly, but I have no idea how long to expect it to take.
It took about 6 months for us between homestudy and getting the license. We had all of the paperwork done, didn't have to do anything to the house, just took that long for the state/county to process the paperwork.
Good luck. I hope it passes quickly for you!
Advertisements
Wow, I didn't realize it took that long. Hoping we get approved (which our agency said they are hoping to approve us on Feb. 24th, since our last class finished up on the 23rd) I never really gave it a thought as to how long it would take for the license. 6 months seems long. I know our agency claims to be in despirate need of families. That's a good question I should ask. I assume it varies by state?
Our homestudy was started in May 2011, finished in November 2011, and our license was granted in December of 2011.
Our training classes took 5 months and the homestudy took 1 month. Once our homestudy was complete we had to submit a ton of misc paperwork like housing insurance, vet records for our pets, etc. The day we got all our paperwork turned in we were approved and got our first call for a placement the next day.
We started our homestudy in October and we were licensed in December. Took a little longer because we had people over the age of 18 in the house that needed to be included in the homestudy!
Advertisements
Skyberry, can I ask what state you're in?? 6 months just to wait seems awfully long!
We have MOST of our paperwork done, and hope to have it completed by the end of next week. Then we have to wait for the LW to submit the home study, but I think she's pretty much finished writing it already and just needs a couple of forms from us.
We are in Illinois and with a private agency. From the time we made our first call until we were licensed was 2 1/2 months. Good luck on your journey.
swd
Skyberry, can I ask what state you're in?? 6 months just to wait seems awfully long!
I'm in NC. I live in a big county and my licensing was done by an agency (we're foster-adopt) not the county DSS. Maybe that was why it took so long? All in all the process of training, paperwork, homestudy, licensing took 10 months.
I took PRIDE 10/15/11, completed home study 11/22/11 and received license in the mail on 1/4/12. Everything was done through a agency and I live in a large metropolitan area. I don't see what in the world could take 10 months to complete. I'm foster/adopt and straight adopt approved.
Advertisements
We have all our paperwork turned in, have about 3 more classes. Someone is supposed to call me next week to do homestudy. It must not take long because our last class us feb. 23 and she said shes hoping to get us approved feb. 24. Lets hope.
Not bad. What agency did you use? I live in Illinois too. Have you gotten placement yet?
Thanks. :)
Forevernmyheart
We are in Illinois and with a private agency. From the time we made our first call until we were licensed was 2 1/2 months. Good luck on your journey.
The first time we were licensed in GA, I think it took about five months. This time in MI, since we were foster parents before, it is going to be a less, about three months. A lot of it is waiting on papers - like fingerprinting, background checks, records, etc. The agency itself is pretty quick. Now we are mostly waiting for our house to get finished, which really should be next week and then she'll send in the homestudy. She said that once it is in, if they find a placement, they can call and get the the homestudy approved by the state the same day. So, here's hoping for just another couple of weeks.
Advertisements
Good luck :)
mythreesonsjmo
The first time we were licensed in GA, I think it took about five months. This time in MI, since we were foster parents before, it is going to be a less, about three months. A lot of it is waiting on papers - like fingerprinting, background checks, records, etc. The agency itself is pretty quick. Now we are mostly waiting for our house to get finished, which really should be next week and then she'll send in the homestudy. She said that once it is in, if they find a placement, they can call and get the the homestudy approved by the state the same day. So, here's hoping for just another couple of weeks.