Advertisements
Advertisements
I am from Canada (Quebec) and my husband and I have a 6 year old bio daughter but are exploring adoption to add to our family.
We have applied to be on the waiting list for Haiti which I was told will take anywhere from 18 months to 2 years for the whole process and we are also considering Ukraine as the process is 6-9 months start to finish (no waiting list). We are aware that we would not be adopting an infant and are actually looking for a child from 5-7 years old (without having to break current birth order with our bio daughter).
Obviously the shorter waiting time of the Ukraine is very attractive to us but we do have a few concerns. On here as well as on the internet, I have heard several horror stories of Ukraine adoptions. Many saying that if you are willing to adopt from the Ukraine to be prepared for a child with severe disabilities or illnesses. While normally this wouldn't bother us, having a bio child at home already and having to then care for a very ill adopted child would not feel right to us because we'd also feel like we are taking that much needed attention away from our bio daughter.
However, the government certified agency here that deals with Ukrainian adoptions says they request only healthy children 5 and up.
Can anyone give tell me of any success stories/positive stories about adopting from the Ukraine? All the info online has made me somewhat nervous.
The younger the child you request, the more significant the special needs you are likely to find. The reason is that Ukrainians adopt domestically, but tend -- like their American counterparts -- to prefer young, healthy children.
Do remember that Ukraine treats all adoptions as independent. Agencies have no real place in the adoption process. You won't get a referral before travel, and when you visit the adoption center in Kiev, you won't be allowed to bring an agency staffer or translator of your own. (You can, however, bring your own translator when you visit the children in orphanages.
When you travel to look at profiles of adoptable children, the staff are likely to show you the hardest-to-place children first. They have a true commitment to finding homes for these children, but often don't think about the fact that the families may not be equipped to parent a child who has serious special needs or significant life experiences from being over age 10. And if you don't see any children you can parent in the first group of books you are given, you may or may not get any others; you may be sent home to await a new appointment. Frankly, many parents give up at that point. Likewise, if you see some children in the books that you feel you "might" be able to parent, but realize, when you go to meet them, that their needs are too great, you probably won't be taken back to Kiev to look at more children; instead, you may be told to go home and wait for a new appointment. The travel gets expensive, and there is no guarantee that there will be a child at the end of your second or third trip. (You are allowed only three trips.)
Personally, I don't like the idea of traveling without a referral. People should be in a familiar and comfortable place when they are preparing to make the most important decision of their lives. They should be able to talk with family members and friends, research the availability of specialized medical and educational services in their communities, etc.
Make sure that you understand the Ukrainian adoption process and what your agency can really do for you, if you decide to go to Ukraine. Don't worry as much about the timetable; what matters is how comfortable you are with traveling "blind" and being unable to have your agency assist you every step of the way.
While many families have adopted very successfully from Ukraine, others have come home without a child, having spent thousands of dollars. It's not the program for everyone, and works best for families open to fairly significant special needs, much older children, and sibling groups including at least one school age child.
Sharon
Advertisements
The younger the child you request, the more significant the special needs you are likely to find. The reason is that Ukrainians adopt domestically, but tend -- like their American counterparts -- to prefer young, healthy children. The older children are the ones who show up on international adoption lists.
Do remember that Ukraine treats all adoptions as independent. Agencies have no real place in the adoption process. You won't get a referral before travel, and when you visit the adoption center in Kiev, you won't be allowed to bring an agency staffer or translator of your own. (You can, however, bring your own translator when you visit the children in orphanages.
When you travel to look at profiles of adoptable children, the staff are likely to show you the hardest-to-place children first. They have a true commitment to finding homes for these children, but often don't think about the fact that the families may not be equipped to parent a child who has serious special needs or significant life experiences from being over age 10. And if you don't see any children you can parent in the first group of books you are given, you may or may not get any others; you may be sent home to await a new appointment. Frankly, many parents give up at that point. Likewise, if you see some children in the books that you feel you "might" be able to parent, but realize, when you go to meet them, that their needs are too great, you probably won't be taken back to Kiev to look at more children; instead, you may be told to go home and wait for a new appointment. The travel gets expensive, and there is no guarantee that there will be a child at the end of your second or third trip. (You are allowed only three trips.)
Personally, I don't like the idea of traveling without a referral. People should be in a familiar and comfortable place when they are preparing to make the most important decision of their lives. They should be able to talk with family members and friends, research the availability of specialized medical and educational services in their communities, etc.
Make sure that you understand the Ukrainian adoption process and what your agency can really do for you, if you decide to go to Ukraine. Don't worry as much about the timetable; what matters is how comfortable you are with traveling "blind" and being unable to have your agency assist you every step of the way.
While many families have adopted very successfully from Ukraine, others have come home without a child, having spent thousands of dollars. It's not the program for everyone, and works best for families open to fairly significant special needs, much older children, and sibling groups including at least one school age child.
Sharon
Basically anywhere in International Adoption nowadays or currently is only Special Needs!!
Also or as well as if you do decide to pursue International Adoption??
I would start with or definitely inquire?
What or how your School District's or School Systems'.
Second Language or Special Education programs are Advocated?
International Adoption becomes more challenging at home than In-Country. Without or with no understanding of languages. As well as very low attention spans due to being Institutionalized!!