Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Edward and Samantha, I was not at Crit when either of your relatives were there. I left in February 1963. After we left, there was literally no contact with the other girls. My mother totally forbid me to keep in touch and everyone really moved on. That was why I say that 6 months of my life was so odd. It was all Crittenton and the friends I had there, going to school in the basement, then having the baby and leaving. My mother wouldn't even allow me to come back for the 6 week checkup that needed to be done. She took me to St. Luke's next door and made an appointment with the doctor who delivered my son to see me there. My mother was a huge part of my anger at that period of my life. She had me in a maternity home in the 40s and seemed to be fixing all the things she didn't like about her stay through me. I was adopted by people she knew and when I wanted to get married to the baby's father, my parents contacted her and she stepped in and made all the arrangements with Crit. They sent money for everything to her and all letters went through her so she could black out my name on the envelope. Frankly, she was unbalanced but I didn't see it then because I was so happy to finally know who my mother was and get to know her.
I usually don't tell the rest of the story online but at this point, it really doesn't matter. I lived with her and her family for 18 months after I left Crit, then she sent me back to my aparents when I graduated from high school the next year. She had 3 other children, an SOB of a husband and had a 4th child in 1965 in a deal with the husband to build her a new house. My mother was a piece of work and the 2 sisters I have left are completely messed up. I now seem to be expected to help them with the problems in their lives.
I do not come to this site much because adoption for me seems so long ago and very set in stone now. There is nothing to discover, no changes to be made and I just keep on going forward. I hope all of you find the person you are looking for. Most of them are not as crazy as my mother but the times back then were truly toxic and girls often tried their best to do what we were told, 'forget and go on with your life.' It worked for some and not as well for others. The severing of that birth tie will never be sewn back together. It leaves a scar on our souls, both babies and mothers. I wish everyone a happy life. Make the best of it because life is short and there are no do-overs. All of you have hundreds of kindred souls out here so you are not alone. Best of luck to you.