Advertisements
Advertisements
We are interested in adopting a child listed with an agency and understand that children from Kazakhstan are not allowed to be photolisted on the internet, does anyone know why this angency does photolist Kaz children? And if a child is listed with an agency, is that agency the exclusive agency to provide adoption of that child?
I am not sure if this is the answer to your question or not, but we were told that the recent slowdown in processing is because Kazakhstan officials are investigating some agencies. Due to manpower and the increase in dossiers it may take us 8-10 months for our letter of invitation.
I don't know if the agency that is posting photolistings is one that is being investigated or if it at all related, but I personally, don't appreciate it. While the motivation may be good, i.e. to find homes for older children who might not otherwise have a chance, ultimately not following the rules of the country hurts all who try to adopt from that country.
I have been told that when you go to court you will be asked if you received a photo of the child prior to coming to Kazakhstan. Agencies are telling families to lie and say no. Again, this leads to mistrust on the part of Kazakhstan officials.
Sorry to vent, but we started with Guatemala and they suspended after we turn in our dossier. Then we turn in our Kazakhstan dossier in July thinking 4-6 months only to find out that now it will be 8-10.
Advertisements
I happened to read a post about something similar a while ago...if I can dig it up I'll post the link to it.
But anyway, the posters were saying that even if you accept a "referral" of a Kaz child, that the government isn't the one assigning the child, and therefore the child can be adopted by someone else while you're still in process. Your agency may not refer that child to anyone else, but if a Kaz national walks into the orphanage and chooses that child, the Kaz government will say "OK". (After all, the child isn't supposed to be listed anywhere else, so why should they check first?)
It has led to the loss of a referred child before, and probably will again. It doesn't often happen, because the children are waiting already, but has happened. Perhaps your agency is banking on the rareness of such a problem? But why take that chance? And why violate the trust of a nation whose goodwill is needed for adoptions to continue from there?
I could have this slightly wrong, I'll go see if I can find the original thread.