Advertisements
Advertisements
I have a beautiful 6 year old who is very sensitive about a dark little mustache she has. My daughter is very feminine and frilly and I have seen her trying to scrub the fuzz off her upper lip.
Any ideas on what to do about this peach fuzz. I want to help her get rid of this. I am big on living with and accepting your body as it is. Having said that, this is a little "fixable" issue.
Any body have any ideas?
As a fellow brunette, I feel her pain! I'm pretty basic about my own beauty/fashion stuff, but even I feel sensitive about facial hair, and I'm just talking a few stray hairs, not what your daughter has to cope with.
I used one of the suggested trimmers on the back of my husband's neck to other night & was amazed! It felt like just brushing the hair away! He said it cost $9.99, and I think he got it at our local national chain pharmacy.
Gail
Advertisements
It is not a good idea to have a little girl shave her lip....it will come back in thicker and stiff.... When the hair is removed from the root it will still come back in but the hari will be finer and thiner and sometime repeated removal will cause the hair to stop coming in at all.
Bleaching is OK--but on dark skin it is just as obvious. I am a red head with blonde body hair and if I tan I have a blonde mustache that is very noticable...
There are some creams now that work well to remove the hair but that is also breaking it which will make it thincker. There are some wash clothes sold that will grab the hairs and yank them out but that could be more painful then waxing.
There is also a device I purchased called an EpiLady and it is in home electrolisis--It is very difficult to use and requires a great deal of time as well as good eyesite. A very thin prob is placed into the hair shaft and a small tickling electoronic zap kills the hair at its root.... It does require some repeated use. I have successefully taken care of under arm hair with mine after several months of going for it---I have moles under my arms which made shaving painful.
I personally, would try the waxing idea at a salon. The effects are not permanante but the benefits are well worth it. The upper lip is not as sensitive as other areas might be. They do sell both hot and cold waxing products at the stores however for a little girl her age I would go to the pros first so she understands what it is supposed to be like. Then she can decide if that level of pain is worth the results....
if your daughter does not like the choices today and would rather not worry about it right now--that is also a choice I would support her in....just knowing there are options can make the difference one round at the salon and your daughter will decide how long and how often she would choose to wax and if a home system was something you felt worth the investment. ($40.00)
waxing is the best. it lasts for three weeks or so.
bleaching hair on dark skin will only show up like blonde hair against dark skin.
I have a very dark mustache and shaving and waxing is not the answer, it only makes it worse.
In the winter months I just bleach it using Sally Hanson facial hair bleach. However in the summer I love to tan and I get very dark and I end up with a very blonde mustache. So I bleach it then "trim" (not shave) it with the little handle held thing everyone is talking about (got it at bed bath and beyond). I trim it close but leave enough that it is still soft, I do a once a week trim and bleach every other week.
Sometimes I forget and my husband will say "Hon, you know I really love you but" and I know it is time to bleach again. :D
i think waxing a little girl is a terrible idea!!!!!!!!!!!
i am a grown women and i can barely tollerate that pain not to
mention what that might do to her precious skin. i would recomend
a cream dipulitory like nair for the face. they even make this nair in like cucumber melon so you don't have to stand that chemical smell.of corse i would think asking a dermatologist before trying anything is the safest bet.
by the way this way is painless
Advertisements
I definitely recommend consulting a dermatologist before you do anthing. I am half Mexican and for years ingored my facial hair, but in the last year it has gotten so much worse so I now wax. It is very painful and not too cheap either.
Be careful what you do with your six year old. Waxing may take off the skin too. As for the hair remover creams....my sister used an over the counter facial hair remover and ended up with a nasty chemical burn on one spot. I can't imagine what it might do to such young and sensitive skin.
It is nice that you are taking this concern of hers seriously. I know that I will someday be dealing with this with both of my daughters. It is a very sensitive issue and I'm sure she will be thankful that you understand that!!
Let us know what the dr. says if you talk to one!
Good luck!
How weird... I just today saw the comercial for the little pen looking thing and ordered one (for my bushy eyebrows). So I happen to have the phone number handy 800-235-1100. Beware, when you call they try to sell you on twelve other things.
-Kevin
I feel your daughters pain! I have had excess facial hair since I was about 12 and it was so embarrising. I can remember when a girl on the bus said "what is wrong with you?" "Do you know you have a mustache?" Mine is black and very obvious. Nair does not work on mine, as it is so thick. I tweeze which last about 3 or 4 weeks with small touch ups. Tweezing is painful at first and I would not recommend it on a child. I can thank genetics and poly systic ovarian disease for my "fuzzie ness".
I dont have any answers. I would just ask the Dr. for advice. That being said, I have a 9 yr old (bio) daughter who is starting to have one and our beautiful little daughter from Guatemala has a mustache already. It doesn't matter yet to the baby, but our 9 yr old is sure to be self concious about it soon. I am sure someone will point it out to her. Dont they always? Kids can be so mean.
Tell me more about this pen? device.
Thanks
I would reccomend nair, or similar brand, for faces.
Maybe when she is older she can wax but it really hurts the first few times you do it. However, I will add that each time you wax it hurst less and less. I've been waxing for a while now and don't feel a thing at all now. Rip, rip, rip,....nothing! *LOL* :D
Advertisements
QVC sells a project called Emjoi - it is not a shaver but a plucker and it works very well. The first time you use it , there is some discomfort at the time, but well worth it. After repeated use, you do not feel it as much and the the hair grows back far thinner and results last 3 weeks. The Vermont Country Store catalog also sells a similar product.
[url]http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%2Fasp%2FIsItemNumberRedirect.asp&search=SQ&frames=y&referrer=QVC&txtDesc=hair+remover&Submit4=Go[/url]
In her own country, the facial hair would most likely have been totally acceptable and would not even been noticed by her. But she is growing up in western cauc. culture where facial hair deemed by society to be unacceptable, this is unfortunate for all of us who have to seek out these kinds of products. It is too bad a 6 year old has to deal with this but I guess this is life as we know it in the US
POOR THING. HERES SOMETHING I USE AND WOULD RECOMEND. SALLY HANSEN, LOOKS LIKE SANDPAPER FITS IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND. IT'S USED FOR LEGS FACE ECT. YOU JUST GENTLY RUB IN CIRCLAR MOTION. IT LEAVES THE SURFACE RED AND A LITTLE SWOLLEN. BUT WHEN YOU DONE SMOOTH AS A BABYS BOTTOM. SO TRY ON A FRIDAY NIGHT, WILL BE GONE BY MONDAY. THE MORE YOU USE IT THE LESS REDNESS SHOWS. I PERSONALLY USE IT ALL THE TIME, NOW I HAVE TO USE LESS OFTEN. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF NADS HAIR REMOVAL. NEVER USE IT EXSPECIALLY ON CHILD. HAD TO PUT THAT IN THEIR. ANYWAYS LOOK FOR SALLY HANSEN COULD ALSO BE SAME PRODUCT ANOTHER COMPANY. BUT YOU CAN GET IT AT FRED MEYERS, RITEAID, K-MART. THE ONES I KNOW. GOOD LUCK
I use the product referred to by the other poster.
"QVC sells a project called Emjoi - it is not a shaver but a plucker and it works very well. The first time you use it , there is some discomfort at the time, but well worth it. After repeated use, you do not feel it as much and the the hair grows back far thinner and results last 3 weeks. The Vermont Country Store catalog also sells a similar product."
This product works great as it pulls the hair out by its roots so it stays away longer BUT it hurts and take some time to get used to it. My husband tried it on his neck and ran forward to get away from it as it is very uncomfortable to use. If you choose to use it let her try it on her arm first so that she understands what it will feel like but more intense as the upper lip area is more sensitive.
The bleach creams only makes it look worse as I tried that when I was young and people still made fun of me. It turns the brown mustache into a blond one.
I've fought this issue my entire life as I am Armenian.
Kesti
Many places have lasers that remove it permanet. Maybe be very expensive about 80-100 dollars per inch. Dont know if they will do it on a young child. I am going to check into it for my daughter.
My fiance's daughter has the same problem and she waxes.
Advertisements
They have the "pen thing" at Walmart for about $10. I have one and love it. Honestly I feel a little girl should NOT have a mustash and one should figure out how to remove it. It will only invite teasing.
Thanks for all the great ideas!
I am going to look for the "buffing mitt" and the little 10.00 gadget first and maybe the facial nair.
I don't want her to wax until she's old enough to chose that torture herself.
I just want to make her life a little easier.
I really don't want her to have to listen to teasing. Kids are unkind.
Thanks...I'll let you know how we do.