Advertisements
Advertisements
I am looking for several people who were brothers & sisters that were at St. Peters Orphanage or Porter-Leath in Memphis, TN during the late 1950's. These relatives may have possibly been there during the time Judge Edith McCain was at Juvenile Court who reportedly sold children.
The names I have were listed in the archive book. The boys name is Charles Walter Owens. He was 5 at the time and he had a birth mark on his face, possibly the right side of his eye extending towards his forehead. The girls names are Catherine Irene Owens (age 4), Edith Marie Owens (age 2) and Sheila Dean (?) Owens (age 1).
Their mothers name was Ruthie Owens, born 10-5-1947 in Garland, AR. The fathers name was Carl Ira Owens born 11-7-1896 in Memphis, TN.
If you were in this orphanage during the late 1950's, please email me.
I am looking for the birth parents of Edna luckett who was born about 1909. I know she was in Leath Orphanage in 1920. she married James Hubert Markle at the age of 14-15 years old. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Advertisements
I am looking for the birth parents of Edna luckett who was born about 1909. I know she was in Leath Orphanage in 1920. she married James Hubert Markle at the age of 14-15 years old. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Edna was Willie Edna Luckett born 2 Aug 1909 in Tn. The 1920 Census shows both her parents were also born in TN.
Willie Edna on her California death notice, she passed away 22 May 1989 in CA, shows her mother's maiden name to be Scott and fathers name Luckett.
Her parents were: J W Luckett who married Mamie Scott (born in Gibson Tn in 1883) in 1905. Mamie died on 31 Dec 1915 in Shelby, Tn,, it appears her death was due to premature childbirth which would account for Edna ending up in the orphanage, I don't know if the baby survived. Mamie's grave on Find A Grave is here
I also found a family tree that seems to match the same facts.
Holly is seeking her biological mother/family. She was born in Memphis, Tennessee in Nov 91 and was adopted through St. Peter’s. Please message or call 901.907.4426.
My name is Carl J Sartorius II. I was born December 11, 1956 in Chattanooga, Tennessee. As far as I know, I was put up for adoption at birth and given to The Saint Peter’s Catholic Orphanage of Memphis, TN. On June 22, 1957 , I was placed in the home of Carl J. Sartorius SR and Maxine R. Sartorius who resided in Knoxville, TN. At that time I was given the official name of Carl J Sartorius II. I was officially adopted by them in November 1957.
I began investigating the search for my birth family roughly 4 years ago. The Saint Peter’s Orphanage has been closed for many years and there is no record of what hospital in Chattanooga that I may have been born. I then continued to search for information through Ancestry.com. My initial results identified a possible 7th cousin, which I assumed would be so far removed it would not be helpful. I actually thought i had reached a dead-end.
Any information, Please contact me at Floudyfloud@yahoo.com
Last update on October 20, 10:09 am by Carl Sartorius.
Hello, my name is Tom and I am helping my grandmother try and connect with family, she is 90 so its probable that not may are left but she wanted to give it a shot. From what we know she was adopted at age 2 from the St. Peters Memphis so born in 1929 and adopted in 1931. She cant find any info on it but firmly believes her family name was Lloyd and from Ripley, TN.
Ive called around to try and find the records from St. Peters but as they are no more i just get pin-balled from one person to another. If any one knows the best way to find this info or any info it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
Hello, my name is Tom and I am helping my grandmother try and connect with family, she is 90 so its probable that not may are left but she wanted to give it a shot. From what we know she was adopted at age 2 from the St. Peters Memphis so born in 1929 and adopted in 1931. She cant find any info on it but firmly believes her family name was Lloyd and from Ripley, TN.
Ive called around to try and find the records from St. Peters but as they are no more i just get pin-balled from one person to another. If any one knows the best way to find this info or any info it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom
Tom,
I think I found your grandmother in the 1930 Census living in the St Peters Orphanage on Poplar and McLean Streets in Memphis TN. I say that because I found a Virginia Lloyd age 1 which would match with what your grandmother said and her age.
Now how to find her family, TN allows adoptees to request their original birth certificate. That is your next step is to follow the steps in this link, as your grandmother was adopted prior to 1951 there's a special process - scroll down till you get to it on the right side of the page. Good luck.
1 Liked
 likes this.
WOW, thank you so much yes that sounds like it would be her, i never thought about the Census! I just assumed they would not write down all the kids listed. I was just told about the TN request today but I think they may be affected my the shut down as no one answered all day. Thank you so so much, its really amazing to know there is just a tiny bit of proof out there. I hope you have a wonderful week! Thanks
Tom,
I think I found your grandmother in the 1930 Census living in the St Peters Orphanage on Poplar and McLean Streets in Memphis TN. I say that because I found a Virginia Lloyd age 1 which would match with what your grandmother said and her age.
Now how to find her family, TN allows adoptees to request their original birth certificate. That is your next step is to follow the steps in this link, as your grandmother was adopted prior to 1951 there's a special process - scroll down till you get to it on the right side of the page. Good luck.
1 Liked
 likes this.
WOW, thank you so much yes that sounds like it would be her, i never thought about the Census! I just assumed they would not write down all the kids listed. I was just told about the TN request today but I think they may be affected my the shut down as no one answered all day. Thank you so so much, its really amazing to know there is just a tiny bit of proof out there. I hope you have a wonderful week! Thanks
Keep calling, it's worth it. The link takes you to a picture of the Home prior to it being torn down. If your grandma uncovers/remembers anything else please post about it. All the best to both of you and thank you for caring.
I defiantly will and thank you again !
Keep calling, it's worth it. The link takes you to a picture of the Home prior to it being torn down. If your grandma uncovers/remembers anything else please post about it. All the best to both of you and thank you for caring.
Advertisements
Hi - My name is Raquel. I am searching for my grandmother’s birth parents. She was adopted from St. Peter’s Orphanage in 1926 by a Mr & Mrs Friewald. I have the adoption records, but I don’t believe the mother’s name is correct. My grandmother’s name was Margaret Marie and she was placed at St. Peter’s by a “Sarah Brown”. Again, I don’t believe this is the real name. I’m not sure how much luck I’m going to have finding anything out, but it’s worth a try! Thanks
Hi - My name is Raquel. I am searching for my grandmother’s birth parents. She was adopted from St. Peter’s Orphanage in 1926 by a Mr & Mrs Friewald. I have the adoption records, but I don’t believe the mother’s name is correct. My grandmother’s name was Margaret Marie and she was placed at St. Peter’s by a “Sarah Brown”. Again, I don’t believe this is the real name. I’m not sure how much luck I’m going to have finding anything out, but it’s worth a try! Thanks
Do you have any idea of your grandma's birth year?
I am looking for several people who were brothers & sisters that were at St. Peters Orphanage or Porter-Leath in Memphis, TN during the late 1950's. These relatives may have possibly been there during the time Judge Edith McCain was at Juvenile Court who reportedly sold children.
The names I have were listed in the archive book. The boys name is Charles Walter Owens. He was 5 at the time and he had a birth mark on his face, possibly the right side of his eye extending towards his forehead. The girls names are Catherine Irene Owens (age 4), Edith Marie Owens (age 2) and Sheila Dean (?) Owens (age 1).
Their mothers name was Ruthie Owens, born 10-5-1947 in Garland, AR. The fathers name was Carl Ira Owens born 11-7-1896 in Memphis, TN.
If you were in this orphanage during the late 1950's, please email me.
male adopted 1957 as infant from st peters
Advertisements
Yes, 1925
I found her in her new family but nothing prior to that. I did find a Sayde Braun in the area from Poland married to a Leo Braun (says he's from Hungary) and thought that might lead to something but they had another child by then and unless she was sick or they just couldn't afford a second - seems like a dead end. At this point it might be best to do dna testing to find any real leads. Sorry.
My brothers & I were put up for adoption in 1974. We were separated and adopted separately. I found my oldest brother last fall and have reunited but we have a middle brother we are desperately hoping to locate as well. His birth name was Kenneth LaRay Myrick, DOB 03/13/1970. We were surrendered to St Peter Home for Children in Mar 1974. Birth mother: Barbara Kay Newman Myrick; Birth father: Dennis Keith Myrick. Would love to find our missing brother Kenneth.
1 Liked
 likes this.